PDA

View Full Version : Throat erosion

JTCrl
09-22-2014, 06:15 PM
Savage target action, Right bolt Left port, 26" bull barrel, 223 Rem, 9" twist, 2500 rounds.

I bought this rifle about 2 1/2 years ago and have been able to shoot .5moa groups with pretty much any bullet/powder/primer combination I have tried. This spring, at about 2200 rounds, the groups started to open up. Since I'm always trying new loads (new bullets in this case) it took a while for me to realize it wasn't just the bullets. I loaded a batch of my "go to" 73 grain Bergers and couldn't shoot 1 MOA! Got the comparator out and discovered that to get the bullets to the lands I had to load them .040" longer than I did a year ago! I haven't borescoped the barrel yet, hope to do that before it makes the transition to scrap metal.

This rifle has always had a "long throat", I never could load 52gn boat tails out to the lands, they'd fall out the end of the case.

Curious what experiences the folks here may have had.

Oh yeah, Jim an NSS was nice enough to get a Shilen ordered for me 2 months, 1 day, and 7 hours ago, not that I'm counting.

foxx
09-22-2014, 06:21 PM
It happens. Have you considered having it reamed and just keep shooting it? It would still be plenty long.

scope eye
09-22-2014, 06:29 PM
I would have it rethroated AKA setback, then you would have the best of both worlds, a fresh throat and a already broken in barrel rifling, $100.00 well spent, and cheaper than a new barrel.

Dean

JTCrl
09-22-2014, 06:43 PM
I asked the gunsmiths at the local Scheels and an independent gunshop, getting it re-chambered and doing an 11 degree target crown was about $250 and I'd get it back in about 2 months. I'm also using this as an opportunity to convert this to a light varmint rifle (weight is 12lb 4oz now) so going to a 22" varmint barrel, then figuring on a lighter BR type stock.

foxx
09-22-2014, 06:46 PM
Might check with Apache Gun Works. That quote for barrel work seems high and a long wait.

LongRange
09-22-2014, 08:15 PM
Ive lost .013 out of my 300wm I rebarreled the first part of this year.
I also built a 260 off a savage target action in march of this year and have lost .010...both still shoot better than I do just have to seat out farther. 2500 rounds and youve lost .040 its time for a barrel and you will love that shilen...both my riffles sport the select matches and will again when its time.

LongRange
09-22-2014, 08:16 PM
Might check with Apache Gun Works. That quote seems high and long wait.

I waited 8mos for my 300 barrel from shilen.

foxx
09-22-2014, 08:23 PM
I asked the gunsmiths at the local Scheels and an independent gunshop, getting it re-chambered and doing an 11 degree target crown was about $250 and I'd get it back in about 2 months. I'm also using this as an opportunity to convert this to a light varmint rifle (weight is 12lb 4oz now) so going to a 22" varmint barrel, then figuring on a lighter BR type stock.

I intended to refer the OP to Apache for rechamberring and recrowning. Tat quote seems high and long.

bootsmcguire
09-22-2014, 08:53 PM
I intended to refer the OP to Apache for rechamberring and recrowning. Tat quote seems high and long.

Definitely call up Jim at www.apachegunworks.com (http://www.apachegunworks.com) and get a quote. I know he has quoted me much less than the $250 and quicker return. I do all my barrel business with Jim now. Such good work and customer service it would be very hard for me to go anywhere else.

JTCrl
09-23-2014, 10:28 AM
Thanks for the tip, I'll look into that. Jim said to expect about 3 months for the Shilen.