PDA

View Full Version : Savage 220: Considering 220

Winny94
09-22-2014, 12:17 AM
I'm in the market for a new slug gun, the 500 has just become worn out. I'm currently debating between the browning a-bolt and savage 220. I shot a sub 1" 3-shot group the other day with the 220 and I can't believe I'm going to find a $500 difference between the two.
My question is; what ammo are most of you running? Is a slug scope necessary with this gun as it shoots (and is designed) much more like a rifle? I'd like to use a vortex diamondback, but would like the opinion of others here.

Thanks

rjtfroggy
09-22-2014, 06:56 AM
I have 1. I took it out of that hollow plastic stock and replaced with a boyds laminate. Have a Redfield 2-7 on it and that has to go just have trouble seeing through it, I am going to use a 6x I have sitting here.
Tried every type of slug on the market for it, results went from wow to that don't work. The best were the Rem. solid copper just under an 1" at 100 but at $4.50 a shot I started looking for something else, Federal( not the Fussion) shot around an 1" and the Lightfeilds were a close second(very close).
Helped a young kid yesterday at the range and all he wanted to use was the Rem. accu-tip and the tightest group was around 2.5" at 100.
All of these are with 2 3/4 shells and if my memory serves me Savage uses 3" for their accuracy load.
My advice is buy all different types of slugs and see what works the best for you then stock up on them. Don't forget to try the foster style .

Winny94
09-22-2014, 10:52 AM
I wasn't aware you could change stocks. One thing I noticed was that the 220 had a much flimsier stock when compared to the a-bolt. Are there many options available?

rjtfroggy
09-22-2014, 11:17 AM
Not really I modified a Boyd's but I think they make one now. Look here.

http://www.boydsgunstocks.com/product.htm?pid=104854&cat=1223

EFBell
10-02-2014, 08:20 PM
I use a regular rifle scope on mine sighted in 2" high at 100. Remington 2-3/4" Acu-tips work best in mine. PDog-06 on here uses a slug scope on his and was banging steel with it at 300 yards. So I'm guessing that scope worked real good for him... LOL

Oh, and don't worry about that stock. It's just fine the way it is.