PDA

View Full Version : Savage 99: "A Vinatge Combo": Takedown 300 99F and Leather Case

Old No7
09-21-2014, 05:26 PM
I first posted about this old Savage 99F back in the spring...

Here's my 1938 vintage Savage 99F with the rare Lyman 29 1/2 tang sight which has the folding stem and is adjustable for windage. Since my first posts about this one, I had the checkering recut and the stock colors better matched, as the forearm was a lot lighter before; my stock guy said it was "sap wood", while the buttstock was not (both have the rifle's serial number stamped in them).

He kept all the dings and scratches (as no sanding was allowed!) to preserve the look and character of the old gun. I had told him that I wanted a "vintage look" for the old Savage, and I think he did well. I am very pleased with how this came out.

Here you can also see the vintage leather takedown case that I found at a local antique shop for only $30; and with a little TLC and some sewing to repair a strap, that has been cleaned up now too.

http://www.hunt101.com/data/500/Savage_99F_Takedown_Case_01_Medium_.JPG

I think these make a neat vintage combo. And now I'm all set to take the Savage hunting on a city bus... Not!!!

(Plus, we don't have any bus service here in the country...) ;)

Tight groups.

Old No7

Jeff518
09-22-2014, 07:37 AM
That is a sweet rig! It's definitely a throw-back to a time when traveling with a gun was a pleasurable adventure. The folks on 24hr/Savage collectors forum will want to see this! 303 or 300?

Old No7
09-22-2014, 01:23 PM
It's a .300 Savage -- and very accurate too.

Old No7