PDA

View Full Version : Model 111 LA convert to 30-40 Krag

Bearguide444
09-21-2014, 11:10 AM
I have a question so thought I would ask the group what is the difficulty into making it a 30-40 Krag? is there any easy way for the bolt face to work and feeding through a clip or would blind mag be better. My father shoot a old 1898 military Krag and I would possibly like to make him a savage in 30-40 Krag if there is not a lot of machine work and expense involved. please advise If you've looked into this build

darkker
09-21-2014, 02:44 PM
This is where you spending the money on reloading manuals comes in...

You can see from the case drawings, that the Krag has a larger case head, due to the rim, than a standard magnum bolt face.

So, "how easy is it?" Very simple, just give money to a man with a CNC mill, and hog out the bolt face.
Feeding from a blind mag may give you issues because of the rim, that can be modded if needed, but will require tinkering.

Bearguide444
09-21-2014, 03:09 PM
I already have reloading manuals and understand about the rim on the cartridge and the blot face issue. but I was wondering if anybody has done this and figured a way around enlarging the bolt on a CNC machine thanks for your input.

jonbearman
09-21-2014, 03:41 PM
Wel you could cut an extractor grove in the case head and remove the rim.

GaCop
09-22-2014, 04:53 AM
As stated, opening up the bolt head face is easy. The time consuming part is making a magnum magazine box feed the rimmed cartridge. Savage has never made a 110/10 series rifle for rimmed cartridges.