PDA

View Full Version : To shim or not to shim.

birdie
04-10-2010, 09:06 PM
I recently took my savage .308 to a gunsmith to remove a broken base screw. This rifle sat for over a year. I t has a Ken Farrell one piece base, SAV-RTS-1-0 and Leupold PRW series rings. If memory serves me right the base has no taper, as sinclair was out of stock. Originally I had A leupold straight 30 power on it but now installed a mueller eradicator on it. I just found shipping info from sinclair and it indicates there is no taper to this base according to part number I correspponded fom their catalog. A t the range to day I ran out of vertical adjustment. :The best I could get was about 6 inches low at 100 yards. I go home, removed the scope and measured the bas and rings as best I could. Should I shim the rear of the one piece? I put my lapping bar on bottom half of rings and see no problems there.I do not want to remove top of rings from scope as these rings leave marks on scope. This scope was mounted on 2 other rifles and always worked okay. What to do? thanks in advance. Birdie

82boy
04-10-2010, 09:30 PM
With a one piece base you can get away with shimming the bases, they say not to do it on a two piece set up do to bending the tube. I have made shims before out of pop can, and it has worked fine.

Apache
04-10-2010, 10:30 PM
Why not get some Burris signature rings and use the inserts to bring it back where it belongs.......the only other option I know is to get the right base.

geargrinder
04-10-2010, 10:35 PM
Why not get some Burris signature rings and use the inserts to bring it back where it belongs.......the only other option I know is to get the right base.

+1

Don't shim. Do use Burris Signatures.

Don - LongRangeSupply
04-11-2010, 10:29 AM
For those suggesting Signatures --- As noted in his post that isn't an option that he wants to pursue:

"I do not want to remove top of rings from scope as these rings leave marks on scope."

You might also consider bedding the base when you shim it although if your Farrell is made of steel it probably isn't going to flex much when you tighten down the screws.