PDA

View Full Version : What actions/caliber will work for a 6.5 creedmoor build without modifications?

giannid
09-19-2014, 06:59 AM
I've found conflicting answers to this on the internet and was wondering what would work for an action for a 6.5 creedmoor build? Originally, I thought I needed a short action chambered in 308, 7mm-08, 243, or 22-250. Seems like some other ones will work. What works for my build without putting too much extra money into the action? Also seems like the internal magazine models are best for aftermarket stocks? Is it easy/inexpensive to switch over a detachable magazine action to internal mag so I can use an aftermarket stock?

Robinhood
09-19-2014, 10:25 PM
You are correct on the base for your build. just add barrel and headspace. Someone else might want to chime in on the compatibility of the magazine. I believe the 308 works. Are you considering the Creedmoor for hunting or target/LR shooting? You didn't mention budget either. If you look at building a rifle from scratch for target shooting you will be lucky if you spend less than 900 plus optics. Doner action or rifle 300 to 500+, stock 200 to 650 and the barrel 200 to 400 plus odds and ends. a frugal shopper can do better but you need to be warned that used stuff purchased on the internet is often misrepresented or lacking in information.

Converting a non DBM to a DBM is not cheap and parts are sometimes hard to find. There are some good options for aftermarket. If you like stock savage mags buy a doner with the hardware and when your ready get your aftermarket stock with the stock mag inlet

giannid
09-20-2014, 08:59 AM
I plan on spending around 1200 give or take for the rifle without scope. Looks like used rifles are fetching a premium around here and I'm almost better off buying a new hog hunter for an action. I don't think I want a detachable magazine as it seems like it makes my stock choices more expensive. Problem is I don't know which caliber/actions I should be looking at if buying used. Anyone know exactly what will work and what won't?

Onewolf
10-01-2014, 11:22 AM
You want an action with the .470 (nominal) boltface. This is the boltface used by a wide range of Calibers (308/260/243, 284, 6.5CM, etc etc). You can use either a short or long action. (Note that the bolt face can be changed for less than $50) There are more after market stock options for short action. Depending on what type of shooting you plan to do, I would HIGHLY recommend getting an action with DBM. There are lots of after market stocks that support Savage DBM.