PDA

View Full Version : 12FV barrel removal woes

joeb33050
09-19-2014, 04:18 AM
The barrel nut loosened easily, but then was very difficult to unscrew the nut from the barrel-the action came off the barrel easily. There was a lot of solid chips?dirt?filings? in the threads. The nut would NOT go on the replacement barrel. The replacement barrel screws in the action fine. I need a new nut. Midway and Brownells have no nuts with the square notches. Savage has none and won't have any. Gun shack-advertiser here-sold me 2 for $41.75 delivered. This gun is ~2 years old, first barrel removal. This is a first for me, the amount of crap in the threads and the ruined nut.
joe b.

sparky123321
09-19-2014, 07:58 AM
My guess is that the front screw on your scope base caused the problem. I've seen this happen before. The scope base screw damaged your barrel thread as you removed the barrel and then the damaged barrel threads and chips damaged your barrel nut. I always recommend removing the front scope base screw before removing or installing a savage barrel, unless you have previously shortened or confirmed this screw is not in contact with the barrel threads.

joeb33050
09-19-2014, 11:16 AM
My guess is that the front screw on your scope base caused the problem. I've seen this happen before. The scope base screw damaged your barrel thread as you removed the barrel and then the damaged barrel threads and chips damaged your barrel nut. I always recommend removing the front scope base screw before removing or installing a savage barrel, unless you have previously shortened or confirmed this screw is not in contact with the barrel threads.
You're absolutely right, and I should have known it. It was the front mount screw. Barrels now twist right on and off, however the nut is still buggered up. AND, it's not the first time I've done this. Just getting old.
Thanks;
joe b.

BillPa
09-19-2014, 01:54 PM
I always recommend removing the front scope base screw

I recommend checking the screw lengths BEFORE they're installed especially the front one in the ring. If its into the barrel threads its not doing it's job unless you smashed the threads enough. :p

Bill

michaelnel
10-02-2014, 06:13 AM
Oops. Never mind.