PDA

View Full Version : Crazy or genius idea?

Willbur.308
09-18-2014, 07:26 PM
So I was sitting here thinking about it. The ruger American trigger is based on the accu-trigger design(to a certain degree). So in theory it wouldn't be hard to surgically implant one in an axis/edge platform or not? I'm no gunsmith by any means but I like to go against the grain and come up with weird ideas all the time. Thoughts on this folks?

Rosco
09-18-2014, 08:01 PM
Interesting, and I would be suprised if someone hadn't tried that mod.

foxx
09-18-2014, 08:25 PM
All I know about the Ruger American's trigger is what I've seen on their online video. As far as I can tell, once you remove it from the stock, the trigger mechanism does not look even similar to the Accutrigger. And I've never seen the inside of an Axis, either, but it surely won't work on a 10/110.

Willbur.308
09-18-2014, 08:49 PM
I bought one in 30-06 for my best friend and now brother in-law as a wedding present. When doing research on it, all the reviews I read said that they modeled it after the accu-trigger durability and functuality. I got a smoking deal on it and it was before I got turned onto savages. I was just kinda throwing the idea out there.

foxx
09-18-2014, 09:08 PM
Oh, I am sure it was inspired by the Accutrigger. No doubt about that.

thermaler
09-19-2014, 08:33 AM
I have an American--as well as several Savages. The accutrigger comparison IMO goes as far as the silly reviews I've read--there is almost no relationship between the 2 (except maybe the flimsy safety blade in the front of trigger which visually resembles an accutrigger). The American trigger group is housed within a very solid metal "case" and there is only one (intentional) user adjustment, and that is a triggerpull screw in the front. The housing itself is held to the receiver by two roll pins--much like front sights or gas blocks are pinned to a barrel on an AR. The real beauty of the American system is the safety--it is a perfectly sized and positioned but is linked directly to the trigger assembly through a toggling lever-like bar. There is basically zero travel in the American trigger--it takes getting used to and I find it makes the trigger feel like it has a heavier pull than it really does--the minimum 3 pound setting still feels like pushing a brick wall to me so I machined the spring somewhat to get it to a lighter feel.

Theoretically I suppose you could get it to fit a Savage--but my guess is you would have to do extensive modifications to the Savage receiver to get it to work. I think the American trigger is great for what it is--but an accutrigger it is not.

Gypsyrt
09-19-2014, 07:36 PM
The axis 2 are coming with the accu trigger I believe

thomae
09-21-2014, 01:06 PM
Standard Savage Accutriggers are not hard to install on Axis/Edge rifles: http://www.savageshooters.com/content.php?182-HOW-TO-Install-an-Accutrigger-in-a-Savage-Axis-rifle

The Axis II comes from the factory with an accutrigger.