PDA

View Full Version : Issue with the primers, fluke or is it somthing lese?

ClayC
09-18-2014, 01:20 PM
My last F-Class open match I was using CCI Small Magnum Rifle primers (450) in my rifle and I noticed something odd, when I went to eject the round, smoke came out of the receiver twice. I pulled out the bolt and did an inspection and all seemed fine, then I noticed that the primer was pierced. First time I had ever seen that. I shoot a 6BR and this could be a sigh of overpressure (from what I read) but there were no other signs other than that. I'm loading 30g of Varget at a conservative 2743 FPS. Well I also had 4 misfires. Primer was struck but no ignition.

Not something you see from CCI primers very often and I'm about 3/4 way though the 1000 primers in the box. Bad primers? I had at least three fliers in that match but wind was definitely a factor so it was hard to tell. You guys think it may be something else? Rifle is a Savage 12 F-Class with a few minor modifications, but nothing done to the bolt itself.

Just curious, what are you BR shooters using from primers? The Magnums were suggested to me by a few other F-Class 6BR shooters so I just stuck with them.

JCalhoun
09-18-2014, 02:40 PM
Try Remington, Federal or Winchester primers and see if they have the same issue. If so it may be the firing pin.

earl39
09-18-2014, 02:51 PM
I would look at the firing pin looking for any signs of damage. If all is fine with a nice smooth rounded tip i would also try another brand of primers. Just get 100 pack and that should tell you something.

sharpshooter
09-18-2014, 05:04 PM
I really doubt your primers are bad. It sounds more like an ignition problem coupled with the firing pin tip and the protrusion being off.

darkker
09-18-2014, 07:49 PM
then I noticed that the primer was pierced. First time I had ever seen that.

I'm loading 30g of Varget at a conservative 2743 FPS. Well I also had 4 misfires. Primer was struck but no ignition.

Not something you see from CCI primers very often

Well... You said this is the first time you have seen this. Then you said you don't see it that often... So which is it?
What bullet are you using? With a 55gr bullet, that is a very light load. With a 107gr, you are a full grain over max; so that may answer it for you.

I think you should pull your bolt apart, if you have pierced them previously, you may have junk interfering with the firing pin protrusion.

Tokimini
09-18-2014, 07:56 PM
I have also had problems with CCI 450 primers not igniting. My firing pin protrusion was .036". I increased it to .050". Hopefully that will solve the problem.

foxx
09-18-2014, 08:36 PM
well... You said this is the first time you have seen this. Then you said you don't see it that often... So which is it?

wow!!!

earl39
09-18-2014, 09:19 PM
Darkker i believe he said first time he had/saw a pierced primer and 4 misfires was what he doesn't see very often from CCI primers, or any primer for that matter that can't be traced back to some other problem.

eddiesindian
09-18-2014, 09:20 PM
Try Remington, Federal or Winchester primers and see if they have the same issue. If so it may be the firing pin.

roger that.

jonbearman
09-26-2014, 11:54 AM
One thing that can cause this is bumping the shoulder back too far and upon ignition the primer pushes out and gets slammed back in by the full ignition sequence.How are you measuring the amount of bump you need when it is necessary?