PDA

View Full Version : New Barrel - Breaking in with Kroil and JB before firing your first round

Pages : 1 [2]

xsskeet
09-19-2014, 07:58 PM
The throat on this thing is very very short also

I have also seen this on the last 2 I have purchased. Mod 11 7-08 and a Mod 111 30-06.

tomme boy
09-19-2014, 11:26 PM
I can only go about 50 rounds before the accuracy goes to heck. I have close to 350 rounds on it right now. It is not getting any better.

packmule
09-20-2014, 09:04 PM
Barrel break in is like religion; everyone has thier own beliefs and customs. I purchased a Savage 111 Trophy hunter XP 30-06 and did several modifications before I ever shot it. One of those mods was lapping the bore. I used Wheelers 220 (three hundred strokes) then 320 (three hudred strokes) and then 600 (six hundred strokes). All of this was done with a 30 cal soft jag covered with cotton. I stoped and cleaned after every hundred strokes. I also never went clear through to the muzzle so as not to mess up the crown. The barrel was actually hot from friction. I could feel a big diference in smoothness when I was done. When I went to the range I was able to shoot three shot one MOA. I have no idea if it could have done this anyway. I dont consider it broke in either I just helped it along. I did it to remove tool chatter and anomalies to facilitate cleaning. Did it work? I "believe" it did:(

Other mods I did: I bedded the action, free floated the barrel and tang, Stiffened the fore stock, put a recoil reducer in the butt stock, replaced the factory rings with Warne steel maximas, put on a one piece waver base.