PDA

View Full Version : Savage 110 DL in 270 Win

rankin_rookie
09-17-2014, 03:48 PM
Good afternoon,

I just located this site and hoping some of you guys can help shed some light on this rifle I traded for today.

It is the Savage Model 110 DL chambered in 270 Win. It does not have the removable clip or clip hatch on the bottom. All is ammo is loaded and unloaded from the top.

I went to the Savage website and entered the serial # to get information but this serial # is E7***** so I was unable to get the production date.

As for cost, the guy was asking $250 but I was able to make a trade for some various hunting items I am not using anymore so it did not cost any cash out of pocket.

Can you help me out with this one? Anything I should be concerned about? It looks in beautiful condition and does not give an appearance that it has been reconditioned.

Thanks for any help.

tufrthnails
09-17-2014, 03:58 PM
Nice score. Tell your guy if he wants a bunch of hunting stuff I am not using I will more then happily trade him for a savage rifle!!! Get it out to the range and send some rounds down it and see how it shoots.

LHitchcox
09-17-2014, 06:35 PM
You have an older 110. They have a good reputation for accuracy and durability.

big honkin jeep
09-18-2014, 01:04 AM
There is an absolutely gorgeous engraved one with a really nice stock on GB right now that's had me drooling for days.
Too bad the bids left me in the dust long ago and I cant afford it as it's way past the $250 you scored for.
I would love to see pics of yours.

Mach2
09-18-2014, 01:57 AM
Good afternoon,

I just located this site and hoping some of you guys can help shed some light on this rifle I traded for today.

It is the Savage Model 110 DL chambered in 270 Win. It does not have the removable clip or clip hatch on the bottom. All is ammo is loaded and unloaded from the top.

I went to the Savage website and entered the serial # to get information but this serial # is E7***** so I was unable to get the production date.

As for cost, the guy was asking $250 but I was able to make a trade for some various hunting items I am not using anymore so it did not cost any cash out of pocket.

Can you help me out with this one? Anything I should be concerned about? It looks in beautiful condition and does not give an appearance that it has been reconditioned.

Thanks for any help.

The older E series were sometimes not pillar bedded. They were bolted straight to the wood stock. You can easily learn to pillar bed them for free.

Measure your trigger pull. It may have a light pull in no need of lowering or it may have been lowered already. It could even have had an aftermarket trigger installed already.

Take a dollar bill and see if it freely slides around between the barrel and stock. You are checking to see if it is free floated.

yotehtr1
09-18-2014, 05:02 AM
Sounds like a good deal to me! I have the exact same gun that has put deer in the freezer every year since I bought it. Great guns.

Mach2
09-18-2014, 05:51 AM
Yote, you and Rankin should do a detailed critique of you E series Savages. How is it bedded? What type checkering, if any? Trigger weight and maybe a pic of the trigger. Flat top receiver or round? ETC
Anything you could reveal would be interesting. I did not get into Savages until the G series and have much curiosity about the earlier Savages. Ownership of Savage has changed several times since the E series.

rankin_rookie
09-18-2014, 09:56 AM
I'll be glad to post a few pics in the next couple of days. Yes, it has nice checkering on the stock and not a single flaw in the stock anywhere. It could use a little Tru-oil or something to shine it up a little. The rifling looks in what I would consider perfect condition. Either this was owned by someone who really cared for their guns or it was not used much at all. I am just trying to learn more about Savage. This is my first one. I've had Remingtons and Rugers growing up but this seemed like a great deal and I have always been a fan of the 270 win caliber.

I appreciate all the input!

rankin_rookie
09-18-2014, 10:10 AM
Forgot I had this picture that seller text me when I was considering it. It's not the best but will at least give you some idea of what I am working with.

Thanks again for all the input.

http://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?38363-Savage-110-DL-in-270-Win