PDA

View Full Version : Choate stock question.

Redandwhite_72
09-17-2014, 07:04 AM
So I saw Ranger412's post about his stock modification.

http://savageshooters.com/showthread.php?t=38068

I've been thinking about getting a choate for my 110. My first question is, is the butt end of the stock completely hollow? (If someone could post a picture with the recoil pad removed, that'd be great.) Or would a modification such as Ranger412's be possible?

Second question. If it is completely hollow, does anyone have an estimation on how much weight it would add to the stock if I filled, maybe not completely full, but the top and bottom of the stock with devcon? Enough I could put a butt hook and adjustable cheek piece.

BlueDog
09-17-2014, 12:12 PM
I believe the Choate "tactical" stock has a butt hook already. As for filling the hollow stock... You must plan on mounting a wheeled chassis to this thing! Lol. I didn't choose the Choate because of the hefty weight. However, if solely off the bench or prone I suppose weight is irrelevant. I also believe Choate offers an adjustable cheek piece as an add on, but I don't remember how much the kit is.

Redandwhite_72
09-17-2014, 12:55 PM
Thanks bluedog. Sure enough it already has the hook. I couldn't remember from the last time I looked at them. They do offer one with an adjustable cheek piece but it's twice the price. I'm just cheap and trying to get by as cheap as I can. I thought about weight. I was planning on this gun being my elk rifle. However, the way it sits right now it weighs right at 12lbs with just a factory stock. So once I get a new stock for it, I think it's going to be more than I can carry anyway.

BlueDog
09-17-2014, 10:02 PM
I read your post, and couldn't fathom cheap Choate would charge that much for a cheap cheek piece... Wow. Sure enough. Have you handled one? The reason I ask is the grip is pretty massive. (Like huge)

Redandwhite_72
09-17-2014, 10:25 PM
I read your post, and couldn't fathom cheap Choate would charge that much for a cheap cheek piece... Wow. Sure enough. Have you handled one? The reason I ask is the grip is pretty massive. (Like huge)

No, I haven't actually handled one. I like the tactical look on stocks, like say the tacticool. But what I have seen lately they may be going downhill. I like stockades prairie dog but have heard bad things about them too. I can't afford manners or McMillan. What about the lvt stock from SSS? Anyone have one of those?

D.ID
09-21-2014, 11:11 PM
I have several and the grip is large. For me it is perfect.
No one who has shot mine is uncomfortable with it but that will no doubt be a personal preference.
All of mine are on hiking-hunting field guns as all my guns are and the weight is a consequence of it's features, if you add those features to any other stock you will get a very comparable weight..
I think the features of the standard "non adjustable" tactical are beneficial enough to be worth it, then add the needed adjustments threw light weight modification but again it will come down to a personal preference.
The factory adjustable stock takes on even more weight with it's solid aluminum length of pull system and cheek riser base. I personally prefer the much lighter spacers that come with the standard tactical stock. Since weight is always a big factor you can add an adjustable saddle type cheek riser to the standard stock.....It is cheep, easy and light weight. I use the XLR saddle and it weighs almost nothing, not to mention much easier to install.

Steelhead
09-21-2014, 11:46 PM
I have the adjustable Choate, with a barrel better suited for field use it's not bad, with a 26" med varmint it's a pig.
The recoil pad on the reg tactical is far better than the pad on the adjustable version.
If you had a regular tactical and could fit a Logger head cheek rest on it that would be a slick setup.

Redandwhite_72
09-22-2014, 06:49 AM
D.id and steelhead thanks for your input. I think I may still ask for it for Christmas. If it turns out to be something I don't like, I'll just have to return it. Just looked at the loggerhead cheek rest. Wow, that does look slick. And reasonably priced too. You get all the hardware for adjusting both vertically and horizontally for only $49.50. I may have to ask for that for Christmas too. Lol.