PDA

View Full Version : Is the 7wsm worth it?

JOSH 03
09-17-2014, 06:08 AM
Got the invite on an elk hunt next year and my upcoming winter build plans changed. I've owned 7mm mags in the past but currently my safe is depleted of magnums.:distress: That is about to change. I located a model 11, 7wsm and it has sparked my interest for a build in that round. I'm trying to do a build that is under 10 pounds and the short action fits that bill, along with the rigidness the short action offers. I just wanted some feedback on your experieces with the 7wsm (good and bad). Is there feeding issues? What barrel length/ twist rate do they require for good performance with a hunting round? I'm stuck in that the 7mm rem mag is a proven shooter and wildly available. Actually there was a stevens in 20-06 for sale right next to the 7wsw that would make a good platform for a 7mm rem mag. Which one would you guys pick?

Savage6x284
09-17-2014, 07:32 AM
Although the 7mm WSM is the best of the WSM's I'd still go with the LA 7mm RM.
I've had 4 WSM's in .270, 7mm and .300 and will never own another.
The .270 WSM struggled mightily to reach or surpass .270 Winchester speeds and then only with a very few loads. Same with the others.

I am decidedly NOT a fan of the WSM case.

I'd say that 10# is ridiculously heavy for any hunting rifle and you should be shooting for a maximum weight of 7.5# scoped. Better yet, 7# or less.

scope eye
09-17-2014, 07:33 AM
I have both the 7rem and they 7wsm, and they both have there redeeming features, if I had to choose one I would take the belted one, for no reason other than I am old school, they are both 9 twist 28" heavy varmints the the 7wsm has a brake on it, the 7rem is a Remage set up, I have not used either in a while since I started shooting my 7RUM, it's hard to go back to a cartridge that holds a meager 70gr of powder.LOL

Dean

JOSH 03
09-17-2014, 08:23 AM
Thanks for the information. I was feeling that may be the general consensus, I just cant find a reason to go the short mag other than it is intriguing. The old belted mag does everything I need it to do. Maybe I'll pick up that stevens and do a bolt face/barrel swap and throw it into a stock. Meager 70grains of powder, lmao, I can see where you get the name scope eye!

psharon97
09-17-2014, 08:48 AM
One advantage of the belted magnum is that, in a pinch, you can find ammo just about anywhere. The short mags can be tougher to find ammo for.

john800
09-17-2014, 10:15 PM
Or maybee a 280 AI? I have heard they are very clost to 7 mag velocities but I have never owned a 280 ai just reaserched them a bit

geargrinder
09-18-2014, 12:08 AM
I'd get the long action and build the WSM. Easier to fit and feed long bullets. Easier to find the correct stock. The action is small shank and easy to find and swap other barrels and bolt heads.

I just prefer the shorter fatter case. Sharper shoulder reduces the need for trimming. Shorter case lets you seat long bullets without sacrificing case capacity. It's a winner all around.

Not dogging the 7mmRM. There are just benefits to using a WSM in the long action.