PDA

View Full Version : savage 110 BA 338 lapua

mopar440
04-10-2010, 05:40 AM
just wondering if anybody owns one or seen one would like get a set of calibers on the action see whats different alot of people say the std mag bolt face would be to thin when opened up and the std barrel too is this long action large shank or something different

range rat
04-10-2010, 08:38 PM
I saw and held one yesterday at my local gun shop. I'll sell ya my BAT/S, then I can go buy it ;D. They strategically told me about it after I did all the paper work on a T3 tac. They know my weakness for Savages and thought they could sell me two rifles :-\. Didn't work though. The well is DRY!

philkryder
04-12-2010, 11:25 PM
bump -

is this the standard large shank 110 or is there something done to "beef it up?"

scaxeman
04-13-2010, 03:54 PM
is this the standard large shank 110 or is there something done to "beef it up?"

The receiver has been modified in a number of ways (including type of steel selected) to make it ultra-beefy.

The loads I worked up for it were merely in the "moderate" range, but knowing how much pressure it can take in destructive testing (well over 2x SAAMI max. pressure) I will have no worries whatsoever pushing loads to get some good 1 mile groups.

Darrell

philkryder
04-14-2010, 01:06 AM

The receiver has been modified in a number of ways (including type of steel selected) to make it ultra-beefy.

The loads I worked up for it were merely in the "moderate" range, but knowing how much pressure it can take in destructive testing (well over 2x SAAMI max. pressure) I will have no worries whatsoever pushing loads to get some good 1 mile groups.

Darrell

I saw the steel was 4140 - but, that doesn't seem that "special" - can you describe what some of the other changes were?

mopar440
04-14-2010, 08:37 AM
scaxeman if you could alot of us would like some info measure the barrel shank diameter, lenght of inside mag, action screw spaceing maybe the bolt face od and id is this a control feed bolt or push feed
thankyou for any info chad

scaxeman
04-15-2010, 07:14 PM
Hey Chad, and All,

I was supposed to get the production version of the 110BA in tomorrow (I already sent back the prototype). The delivery date has been pushed back until next week. When I get it, I'd be glad to give measurements, etc.

They have done a number of tweaks to the action to make it more accurate... only heavier! Think: a Palma receiver on steroids. If you haven't read the American Rifleman article, you should. The design engineer goes into some detail about his thought process.

The web thickness has been increased by .045", the length of the bolt head is now .562". I think this rifle has the thickest lockup of any of their rifles.

More later when I get grubby fingers on the production rifle!

Darrell

mopar440
04-16-2010, 01:38 PM
thankyou for the info keep us posted

philkryder
04-17-2010, 01:17 AM
Hey Chad, and All,...

The web thickness...

Darrell

by "web thickness" are you referring to the length of the bolt lugs?

MT_Hunter
04-19-2010, 02:51 AM
Does anyone know if Savage will be offering the 110 BA as an action only?

It sure would make a nice starting point for 338 Edge repeater build.

intel
04-19-2010, 09:40 AM
Anyone know what the barrel profile measurments are?

hunter2
04-19-2010, 09:47 AM
Read an article where they were talking to the designer - no actions! Maybe they would change their mind later.

efm77
04-19-2010, 09:48 AM
It is their large shank @ 1.125" at the chamber end according to the American Rifleman article but I can't remember the muzzle diameter. I think it was around .8. Maybe .85 but I can't remember for sure.

cowboyarcher
04-19-2010, 03:13 PM
http://www.americanrifleman.org/ArticlePage.aspx?id=2160&cid=3

hank440
04-19-2010, 04:31 PM
Did you also notice the article says the action comes already trued because

"further enhance accuracy, though the Model 110 design is well-known for excellent accuracy anyway. According to Danneker, “I used very tight specifications we established for the receiver, barrel, bolt head and body, recoil lug and locknut. In testing the trued part versus the standard version on the Palma rifle project, we found the trued part usually resulted in groups half the size of those from non-trued components.” As such, the 110 BA received said treatment.

efm77
04-19-2010, 05:35 PM
Don't remember the exact measurements but I can go back and read the article again but the locking lugs on the bolt head are thicker than normal and I think the lug recesses in the receiver are thicker than normal as well. This is probably to be safer with the increased bolt thrust with the larger case head.

bigjet
04-21-2010, 03:58 PM
Well, today is the the 21st of April. I spoke to Steve Danneker about two weeks ago, and he said that the production rifles were ready to go...at least 250 of them were. The lady in charge of sales said that they had been going out since the last day of March. So, the question is....where are they?

As soon as I found out about the rifle, I ordered the .338. I think that was back in early February. I'm chompin' at the bit. Any news on actual availability?

Cheers

Crankfire Systems
04-22-2010, 12:51 PM
There have been several for sale on Gunbroker for the last three weeks or so. Of course the Pirates that have them have been trying to get $2500.00, without much luck. One went for $2300.00, just over MSRP, but most are not selling at the over $2000.00 numbers. Looks like the "Normal" deal will be about $1800.00 once the initial buying frenzy is done. I will buy one once the pricing settles down a bit and be content to let the "Fish" take the hook, on the first few that are sold.

Thanks,
Emory Jones

Donald McMullin
04-29-2010, 09:05 PM
Glad to hear that they are being delivered. I have had one in 338 ordered since I returned from Indonisia at the end of February.

This will be my first Savage and my first rifle in 338L, should be interesting.

Deep Enough

J.Baker
04-30-2010, 06:04 AM
Basically Savage just shortened the bolt and move the magazine port back around .050" to allow for thicker lugs on the bolt head. Other than that it's pretty much a standard large-shank long target action.