PDA

View Full Version : 270 & 4831

sixonetonoffun
09-16-2014, 12:15 AM
Don't own one but worked up a load with 140SST's with my neighbor. He wanted to try 7828ssc since we have had .5 results with our 7rm's we loaded a near max ladder of it and he had to go. I said to myself sitting there looking at all the powders on the bench why not try the classic case full of 4831? I had some and decided it wasn't what I wanted in the 260 or 7rm with any of the bullet weights I have.

So I loaded some @ 59.5. 60. 60.5 & 61 the rest as they say is history. He shot the test rounds walked down marked each off noting powders & charges. When he finished he looks @ me and says I think ya have a good one there. I says the 4831? Which load? He replies, "yeah the 60 grains looks as good as it gets.

Funny we were under a heavy cloud so couldn't chrono the 270 loads but it didn't matter 2 in 1 & 3 more within an 1" of those were all we needed to see!

tufrthnails
09-16-2014, 02:56 AM
Thanks for the info. getting ready to load up a ladder sample for the 140SST's. What was you length to the O-give?

fgw_in_fla
09-16-2014, 06:56 AM
You guys have been getting load info from Dean again, eh?

I was using 54.5 with 130's and 52 with 150's.
Powder is too expensive and too hard to find sometimes to be using Dean's load info. The one time I listened to Dean and filled the case with 4831, tapped it on the bench for 45 seconds, topped it off and drove the bullet in with a rubber mallet. When I pulled the trigger there was a bulge in the barrel near the chamber and the primer pocket was stretched out. After using the previous mentioned rubber mallet to get the bolt unstuck, I hammered a wood dowel down the barrel & got the well spent case out.
When I looked at my watch I had noticed it was 10 minutes earlier than when I fired the round. Apparently, the bullet left the muzzle & created a time warp.

I load 'em until I find the first accuracy node and tune it from there. The target, be it an animal or paper, doesn't seem to care if the projectile got there a nanosecond sooner.

Sorry Deano. I had a few minutes to kill this morning and took the opportunity to bust your stones a wee bit.
Have a nice day....

sixonetonoffun
09-16-2014, 10:58 AM
We were able to seat them very long. I'll get the measurement when I load some. Definetely added a couple grains of volume to the case. Amax would work nicely here as the canelure is sticking out like a soar thumb on the SST's.

tufrthnails
09-16-2014, 04:06 PM
LOL Frank. I am still starting toward the bottom I am just happy to know he found something that worked with the 140SSTs. On another note I ordered a OAL Guage and bullet comparator which is why I was asking what the measurement to the O-give was. I am glad the non summer time is heading our way. (we don't exactly have a Winter!)

sixonetonoffun
09-16-2014, 07:23 PM
You guys are hilarious. We already had some hard frosts.

fgw_in_fla
09-16-2014, 07:37 PM
I'm hearing a high of 82 this Saturday. I guess I'd better get out my jackets & long sleeve shirts.
Both of them.

tufrthnails
09-16-2014, 07:38 PM
LOL Heading to the woods for my annual weight loss program called hunting Bow Season in Florida!

thermaler
09-16-2014, 07:51 PM
LOL Heading to the woods for my annual weight loss program called hunting Bow Season in Florida!Good luck--I just started scouting up here in Maine--though our expanded archery season has already started. It was a typical deer hunt day for me--went deep into the woods, saw only a few tracks that were days old--and after I git home this evening I walked my dog, and less than 100 yards from my house I encounter 7 deer at 50 yards out in the open, they just stand there snorting at me while I call my friend to tell him about it. This happens to me A LOT.

tufrthnails
09-16-2014, 08:50 PM
I feel your pain Thermaler. I also have close encounters of the unarmed kind. I once seriously contemplated killed a spike with my buck knife seriously it came that close and my bow was in the truck. Fortunately for it it was a baby buck so I let it escape to grow up and myself not have to endure the whoopin it would have given me.

fgw_in_fla
09-16-2014, 09:20 PM
I'm looking forward to the cooler weather and the hogs migrating back to my personal swamp / hunting area. Somebody here sold me a nice new .270 varmint contour barrel a while back. I had Apache thread it for a brake and I'm plenty stocked up on 4831 for said .270 project.

The cooler weather makes it a little easier dragging fresh, wild pork back to camp.

fgw_in_fla
09-16-2014, 09:22 PM
I feel your pain Thermaler. I also have close encounters of the unarmed kind. I once seriously contemplated killed a spike with my buck knife seriously it came that close and my bow was in the truck. Fortunately for it it was a baby buck so I let it escape to grow up and myself not have to endure the whoopin it would have given me.

You live in Florida & wander out in the jungle without a sidearm?
I won't head out without my knife, 9mm and a rifle unless I'm just going for a walk. Then the rifle stays at camp.

sixonetonoffun
09-16-2014, 09:25 PM
I really hadn't messed with a 270 before. It's pretty impressive but I would probably go 280ai just for the wider ranges of bullets.

thermaler
09-17-2014, 04:27 AM
I really hadn't messed with a 270 before. It's pretty impressive but I would probably go 280ai just for the wider ranges of bullets.Just think of 270 as "6.8 magnum" ; ) I know a hunter that uses 270 weatherby magnum for all his hunts everywhere on the planet. His house is full of all kinds of trophies.

tufrthnails
09-17-2014, 11:05 AM
You live in Florida & wander out in the jungle without a sidearm?
I won't head out without my knife, 9mm and a rifle unless I'm just going for a walk. Then the rifle stays at camp.
Not Now I don't but this was before you could carry during Bow season on a WMA.

fgw_in_fla
09-17-2014, 12:12 PM
Ahhh...
I keep forgetting not everyone in Florida has their very own private jungle - complete with swamp, gators, snakes, bugs, hogs, deer, etc...

tufrthnails
09-17-2014, 04:02 PM
Yeah I don't hunt WMA's nearly as much due being able to afford to go out of state to hunt once a year and got in on Papa's hunting lease to get him back in the woods. I still hit Devil's Hammock WMA up for bow season and Green Swamp WMA when I want to kill an afternoon because it is 10 minutes from the house.