PDA

View Full Version : first pillar bedding job need help!

Pages : 1 [2] 3

foxx
09-16-2014, 03:46 PM
I drill them slightly larger than OD of the pillars, with a hand drill just as you said. The hole does not have to be perfect if it is large enough to allow the pillar to have wiggle room so you can make the PILLAR perfectly aligned, with epoxy filling any gaps around it. wood bit.

yotehtr1
09-16-2014, 05:40 PM
I drill them slightly larger than OD of the pillars, with a hand drill just as you said. The hole does not have to be perfect if it is large enough to allow the pillar to have wiggle room so you can make the PILLAR perfectly aligned, with epoxy filling any gaps around it. wood bit.

Great! Thank you!

yotehtr1
09-16-2014, 06:35 PM
I got one more question for now. What do you use to degrease the stock and the action?

BillPa
09-16-2014, 06:45 PM
[QUOTE=yotehtr1;280624]What do you guys use to drill the holes in the stock to a larger diameter for the pillars? I only have a cordless drill but could maybe borrow the use of a press. Just worried about keeping the holes straight. Also do you use a special bit or just a standard wood bit?/QUOTE]

As far as keeping it straight the bit is going to follow the existing hole either way, it will act as a pilot. Using a twist drill bit so slow, bit speed and cut. Start with a smaller size then work up and don't go all the way through, drill about half way from both sides inward.

Don't use a wood bit, there's nothing to keep it centered in the existing hole as with a regular drill bit.

Bill

foxx
09-16-2014, 06:53 PM
I thought a wood bit was a regular bit. That should tell you something abut my advice!

foxx
09-16-2014, 06:56 PM
I use any spray cleaner/degreaser like action cleaner or non chlorinated brake cleaner. When I use Acra Release I just rub the metal down with clean paper towel or something. That stuff doesn't need any kind of thorough cleaning before applying.

yotehtr1
09-16-2014, 08:20 PM
Oh sorry I think I was thinking a wood bit was a regular bit too I guess. I didnt think about the bits with the wing blade things and the centering point in the middle and I bet thats what billpa was thinking when I said "wood bit" which very well might be technically right Im not sure. Sorry for the confusion! and thanks ya I wondered if brake cleaner would work. I might look and see about action cleaner. Is there a specific brand you like? where do you get it? midway, brownells something like that?

foxx
09-16-2014, 08:47 PM
Action cleaner: http://www.midwayusa.com/find?userSearchQuery=action+cleaner

BTW, BillPA is the man on any of this stuff. :)

yotehtr1
09-16-2014, 08:51 PM
Ya I didn't even think of the difference in bits! And thanks for the link

BillPa
09-16-2014, 08:57 PM
I thought a wood bit was a regular bit. That should tell you something abut my advice!

Yeah, I should has said regular "Twist" drill bit. I guess it falls under the classification "I hope you think you know what I thought I meant":p

But, I gotta an "axcuss" A guy was here pick'n up his 788 I had done some work on. He was yack'n, I was yack'n, I was type'n, he was yack'n..... And age ain't help'n any edder.

Bill

badmutha6
09-16-2014, 11:04 PM
I was looking and I had to second the question on whether or not to go all the way through the stock when drilling?

foxx
09-16-2014, 11:08 PM
you must go all the way thru. The rear pillar should sit on the top of the trigger guard and the front on top of the DBM surround. If there is no DBM surround, it should still pass thru the stock so that there is no wood between it and the screw head. The only purpose of the pillars is to prevent the action screws from compressing the stock material and therefore, over time, changing the applied screw torque.

badmutha6
09-16-2014, 11:11 PM
Thanks Foxx. I'm about to do my dads wood stock on his 22-250 and skim bed my hog hunter after a really helpful talk with Billpa, who is indeed the man.

yotehtr1
09-18-2014, 07:48 PM
I ordered a one pound can of devcon tonight as well as pillars from stockys. I hope they work out ok. Picked up neutral kiwi shoe polish, playdo, plumbers putty, frog tape, and black tape last night from walmart. Soon as the devcon and pillars show up I'll give it a whirl! Thanks for the help and I'll try to take pics as I go.

foxx
09-18-2014, 08:07 PM
Good! Just curious... why playdo and plumber's putty? (I prefer plumbers putty, just wondering if you have different applications in mind for each??)

LongRange
09-18-2014, 08:13 PM
Good! Just curious... why playdo and plumber's putty? (I prefer plumbers putty, just wondering if you have different applications in mind for each??)

use the plumbers putty playdo works but dries out pretty fast...make sure you dam up every place you dont want the devcon and plug ALL the holes in you action with putty.

foxx
09-18-2014, 08:30 PM
use the plumbers putty playdo works but dries out pretty fast...make sure you dam up every place you dont want the devcon and plug ALL the holes in you action with putty.\

I agree, LongRange. My question was why yotehatr bought BOTH?

LongRange
09-18-2014, 08:40 PM
\
I agree, LongRange. My question was why yotehatr bought BOTH?

Gotcha...the playdo Is to keep the kids busy while he beds his riffle.

yotehtr1
09-19-2014, 06:04 AM
I bought the playdo just because I found it first and didn't put it away before I got to the check out lol. Thought it may come in handy anyway and was only .88 and worst come to worst the kid will play with it. It'll probably end up just goin in the kids playdo collection.

foxx
09-19-2014, 07:43 AM
That's pretty much my standard MO as well. :)

Just checking to be sure you didn't get confused about what to do, giving all the options and various ways to do this and the fact there really isn't a comprehensive instruction / guide anywhere on the hows and why's. You kinda have to pull it together from a lot of different sources.