PDA

View Full Version : Serious accuracy problems... where to start?

Pages : 1 [2]

GaCop
09-20-2014, 08:21 AM
Use a good copper remover like Montana Extreme to see if you have a lot of copper build up in that older barrel. It also may need a good cleaning with one of the carbon removing solutions.

gotcha
09-20-2014, 02:57 PM
Sounds like you've got a DIY project going. 1st thing I'd do is have the bbl. bore scoped by a competent Smith. If all is good check the crown and lap if necessary. Then inspect the bump in the fore-end to see if the bbl returns to the exact same position each time its fired. You can check this by putting a piece of match book cover between the bbl. & fore-end where the "bump" is located. It will shoot high of POA but if groups tighten you're on the right track. You could then free float the barrel and tune your load to the new harmonics............ Shooting off a rest the older stocks had a lot of flex in the fore-end. For top accuracy you may want to go with a stock that fits your weight requirement yet gives more rigidity.

maxl
09-20-2014, 09:38 PM
Try an 85g sierra gameking my 243 has a 10 twist and will shoot 1/2 in if I do my part, excellent bullet and will drop these small southern deer with authority.

skypilot
09-28-2014, 04:57 PM
Like GaCop said first make sure it is not fouled with any old copper. Even if you have to leave a solvent in the barrel overnight or for a few hours.
Check the crown with a jeweler's loupe.
That gun should shoot ok with the barrel touching the front pressure point in the stock. May want to play with that a little(try shims for effect)

I had the same exact issue on an old(1980) 110E J .243.
Tried everything above and different scopes, rings, bullet weights, brands etc., etc.
Finally stuck it in the 4 jaw, cut off a little barrel and put a 11 deg. crown, sanded out the fore end pressure point and epoxyed(JB Weld)bedded the action and free floated the barrel. Shoots ok now.

BobT
09-30-2014, 08:35 PM
I had a .243 that didn't shoot so well, I cut the barrel to 18" and recrowned it and it will shoot the 95 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips or the 85 grain Sierra Game King HPs into less than 1/2" at 100 yards on a fairly regular basis and I have shot a few groups at 200 yards that were less than 3/4".

If an action isn't pillar bedded I usually torque the action screws to 35 inch pounds for a starting point.

gwtx
12-07-2014, 09:26 PM
I haven't found a load for the 100gr bullets, but my vanguard s2 shoots the sierra 85gr SGK's real well. The 100's were OK, but not great.

DocDoc
12-10-2014, 12:30 AM
An article on getting the torque right.

http://www.accurateshooter.com/technical-articles/savage-action-screw-torque-tuning/

Nalgi
12-19-2014, 09:38 PM
I have a similar rifle that I got in '67. Over the years I've shot about every 243 bullet made. The wt range that it seems to like best is 70-80. It loves the Barnes 72 gr Varminater and the 85 gr TSX.

sparky123321
12-19-2014, 10:20 PM
Lighter bullets would be where I'd start. I had a .243 that just loved the 75gr Remington bullets.

Kill N Grill
12-20-2014, 04:53 PM
Any updates on a cure for your problem? I know it's hunting season and shooting time is a scarce thing. Just wondering.

Fotheringill
12-30-2014, 10:50 AM
I have gone through the frustration on a rimfire, but it is no different as to narrowing down the possible issues. It is tedious, but you will get to the answer.

Examine crown.

1. Thorough cleaning, then shoot. See if there is marked improvement.
2. Swap out mounts and put back on the same scope. No need to zero it in, just take ten shots and see the spread.
3. Same original mounts and swap scope. Do as #2.
4. Examine your targets for stringing in any direction. If present, this would indicate a pillaring and bedding job.
5. If all above fails, I would then play with the ammo selection.