PDA

View Full Version : Loose bolt

romad97
09-13-2014, 10:57 PM
I purchased a brand new action about a year ago. It's a savage model 11. I noticed that it had a lot of play in it while cycling it. I purchased a SSS fishnet fluted bolt and it also displays the same problem. I haven't really shot the rifle to know whether or not it effects accuracy or not. Has anyone else ever had this issue? What can be done to tighten it up? Or is this a common thing with savage actions?

earl39
09-13-2014, 11:07 PM
If i am understanding what you are describing it is normal.

romad97
09-13-2014, 11:55 PM
Basically all I am saying is that the bolt feels very sloppy when cycling it. It locks up fine but it is not very smooth due to the amount of play that it has all the way through for open to close position. It's actually difficult to cyle it very fast because it binds just a tad due to the play in it. I was just wondering if this was normal since this is a new action.

foxx
09-14-2014, 12:35 AM
It's hard to say. I have quite a few, both "old" and "new". Some are sloppier than others. Some get "hung up" a bit as you try t close the action. Some snag the mag follower and that will make it "difficult". They all lock up fine, just as you said. Frankly, if you are use to handling Brownings, Remmy's and Tikkas, I'd say you are just expecting more than what Savage offers in that department. Also, there is often a "rattle" when the bolt is closed and not cocked. Once it's cocked, it's more quiet and tight.

Having said that, check the BAS or Bolt Assembly Screw. It's the large screw head at he rear of the bolt... make sure it is tight.

bootsmcguire
09-14-2014, 12:41 AM
Also if all checks out otherwise, you could pick up a new bolt body from PT&G (IIRC) that is oversized. They are reported to take a bunch of the slop out of the Savage actions. I have not found it necessary for my rifles but it is an option for you.

Digduggy
09-14-2014, 09:09 AM
I just got a ptg .700 diameter bolt body this week, still waiting on bolt face...

It took almost all of the slop out, used a little shooters hi tech grease and it is feeling much better now...

romad97
09-14-2014, 09:16 AM
Well it sounds as if this is all pretty common with savage actions then. Thanks for the responses.

Digduggy
09-14-2014, 09:22 AM
A buddy of mine hates savages for that reason... His budget allows for some serious high end rigs... I know he has a 338lm and 50bmg and shoots them out to 1500 yards... The ONLY reason he hates savages is the bolt feel

jonbearman
09-14-2014, 09:31 AM
If he thinks the savage is sloppy try a mauser 98.

Digduggy
09-14-2014, 09:36 AM
I agree... I will say at first I was surprised how a "precision" rifle could be so sloppy...

... But... Work well, last long time....