PDA

View Full Version : Problems with my new 10fp

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4

MSG Janoski
04-12-2010, 11:13 AM
Jimmy,
After read through this thread I'm with Froggy, the first thing I thought, you have used two "previously used" scopes, did you mechanically re-center them before mounting on this rifle?

You bore sighted at 50 yards, thats good but then place your target at 100 yards to fine adjust and "zero" the scope you decide to use.

As stated if the scope is touching the picatinny rail...fix it.

Unless you will be shooting out to 5 or 6 hundred yards and beyond, no need for a MOA rail.

Good luck, I hope your dilemma turns out to be something simple!

jimmy456
04-12-2010, 09:27 PM
I checked again and it just looks like the scope is touching. It is not touching. The Simmons I put on was brand new, this Bushnell is used. I am thinking about purchasing different rings and seeing if the problems persists. Unless anyone else has any other advice? The 20 MOA base seems like it could fix the problem, but it seems to be side stepping it instead of getting to the issue. So I was thinking of trying different rings and going from there. It's the cheapest of the things I can do.

jimmy456
04-12-2010, 10:03 PM
I mean it is the cheapest thing to try, right?

bodywerks
04-13-2010, 03:08 AM
Trying to zero at 100 yards with some match ammo is a good idea as well. Savages like good ammo.

rjtfroggy
04-13-2010, 07:22 AM
Jimmy unless you have 30mm rings instead of 1" rings I would bet there is nothing wrong with the rings.before you replace anything reset your scope to the factory zero, get a box of good ammo(match grade) and go back to the range and give it a try.
Personally I would still move that scope ahead 1-2 notches, reset zero and then give it a try using sand bags or a good bench rest. Before you go make sure everything is torqued to specs, including the action.
For your set up you do not need a 20 moa base, if you are still running out of adjustment then do a search on here for placing shims under your base, but that's a different subject so forget about it until you try what has been told to you first.
Good luck and let us know the results.

jimmy456
04-13-2010, 08:29 PM
OK I am going to turn the rings back the appropriate way and re-zero the scope to factory. I will try and get my hands on some match ammunition and take this thing out. Hopefully I will get a chance this weekend, but might not until next weekend. Thanks very much for your help guys and I will definitely keep you guys updated.

snipecatcher
04-13-2010, 10:06 PM
Like I stated in a previous post, a 20 MOA base will solve your problems. My rifle was the same way. Poor quality control on Savage's part. It happens every now and then with any mass produced item.
-Dan

jimmy456
04-13-2010, 11:19 PM
That might be the case, but I would rather re-zero the scope and try again. It is likely going to be cheaper than a 20 MOA base if it works, if it doesn't I'll make Savage fix it, I should not have to stand for a sub-par quality product because they want to pump out a few more rifles on the assembly line.

jdg
04-17-2010, 08:05 AM
Hello there,

Thought I'd run this by you more experienced folks.

I got my new 10fp and attached my EGW base and added the Burris XTR 1" Low rings.

A pita to check, but when you installed your base, did you notice it pulling down on either end as you tightened? I had to bed the base on my 10FP as it had a slight gap at the rear. If the base is warped, your rings will not be in line. If you dont know if there was a gap, the only thing to do is reinstall the base, and watch. I start by lightly snugging the second screw from the front, and watch for the base rising up at the back. I read a post on Snipers Hide, were a guy had the exact base and rings as you, and the same issue, and found the rings to be at fault, or at least the were off center on the rail.

MSG Janoski
04-17-2010, 09:08 AM
jimmy,
After you mechanically center your scope (and you know what that involves, count clicks both ways and divide by 2 for both elevation and windage) go ahead and do "the mirror test", as there are times when a scope's mechanical center is out of whack with it's optical center.

oldguy
04-17-2010, 12:32 PM
I had same problem with my Savage 12 BTVS in 223, I used 2 mounts,2 scopes, various shooters over a period of several months end results returned to Savage and they replaced barrel,up on return I mounted my Nikon scope and in 3 rounds it was shooting 1/2inch groups, now I'm not certain your problem is the same however I would go to a local smith and have them bore sight first without the laser if at that point If still not working save yourself the work and call Savage. I have seen this same issue on several boards and at local range and I believe recently there has been a barrel/receiver problem with some new rifles. I do not believe in shimming it simply is covering a quality control issue IMO.

jimmy456
04-17-2010, 04:02 PM
So we went to the range today and tried to get on paper with the Simmons set back at factory zero. We ran out upward adjustment again. We put a small piece of plastic in the back ring of the scope, because this was the easiest way for us to "shim" it. We got on paper and we were able to get on target. It started to get windy at that point and we couldn't really get a good grouping. We tried a few rounds or factory ammo, and I know hand loads and match ammunition are going to be better, but we should be able to get 2 MOA with factory ammo right? I mean I'm not expecting miracles, but I should be able to get a decent group together with regular Federal or Remington ammunition. I will call Savage in the next week or so and describe to them the problems I am having, I am more than willing to send the gun back if it is the gun itself.

jimmy456
04-17-2010, 06:54 PM
oldguy: How did you get Savage to look at your gun?

rjtfroggy
04-18-2010, 07:28 AM
Well Jimmy if you followed the threads and did everything explained,You now have a reason to call Savage CS and tell them about your problem and ask for a return label to get them to check it out.
When you call tell them you would like to include the mount and scope you want to use so they will check it with them on.
Here is the phone number 1-800-370-0708 Mon.-Fri. 8-4 closed for lunch, have serial number and model.
GOOD LUCK

oldguy
04-18-2010, 08:46 AM
oldguy: How did you get Savage to look at your gun?

As previous poster said I called savage told them problem explained in detail number of mounts, scopes and various solutions I tried, they had UPS pick up two days later, I had a plastic shipping case purchased from Cabelas with gun I enclosed sales receipt and information about problem used electrical ties for case and wrapped duct tape in 4 places on case for added safety. Savage required 58 days to repair because they waited until they were producing the 26 inch stainless barrel to replace mine, I wasn't concerned with the wait all I required was a quality repair and I received that.

jimmy456
04-18-2010, 10:46 AM
Well I bought another pair of rings that I could try, but they haven't arrived yet. Should be here in the next 2 or 3 days. When those arrive I will take it to the range and see what's what. Thank you to everyone who has made suggestions and helped me through this. I really appreciate it. I will keep you posted. Will try the range next weekend and then off to customer service.

jimmy456
04-18-2010, 12:01 PM
Well, the person I am working with just e-mailed me this. Wanted to see what you guys think.

Worried that it is the rifle.

1) Both scopes shot very low and to the right.

2) Two boresighters had us set up the scopes to put the rounds low and right.

3) Poor man's bore sighting (looking through barrel, then scope and adjusting until crosshairs and bore match) resulted in low and right.

So, bore is pointed directly at target.
Crosshairs are centered on target.
Rounds are hitting low and right.

To bring rounds on target, we are actually aiming high and to the left...somewhere around 5 feet to the left.

My hypothesis, the barrel is sending rounds 5 feet to the right.

Free float seemed good.

Action screws tight.

Scope mounting seemed true and all methods of bore sighting indicated that crosshairs were properly aligned to the bore....barrel kicking the rounds to the right and down.

Call Savage? I am thinking that the rifle should:

Shoot closer to point of aim regardless of ammunition.
Shoot more accurately than what we are seeing regardless of ammunition.

Thoughts? Opinions?

oldguy
04-18-2010, 04:03 PM
Again Jimmy I think your wasting effort, I was able to get on target via shimming with Burris Zee rings it was so extreme scope wasn't aligned with bore looking front to back. You appear to have a barrel/receiver problem and even if you shim to get on paper problem still exist, one should be able with a new rifle to bore sight and be on target at 25-50 yards. IMO.

jimmy456
04-23-2010, 02:03 PM
Called Savage, they are going to have FedEx come pick up the gun and they are going to look at it. Thanks for the help guys and I will let you know what happens.

jimmy456
05-27-2010, 03:22 PM
Spoke with Savage this morning and they said they replaced the barrel on Monday and they are getting ready to test fire and target the rifle by the end of the week. I am really glad that they actually found a problem with the rifle and it wasn't me just plain missing something. The process was relatively simple and I applaud Savage's Customer Service. Thanks to all who helped along the way. I will post an update as soon as my rifle is back with me.