PDA

View Full Version : Problems with my new 10fp

Pages : 1 [2] 3 4

jimmy456
04-11-2010, 03:52 PM
So the gun passes the dollar bill test.

And by grouping I mean the shots seem to group together OK, but in relation to the Crosshairs, it is way off.

My buddy couldn't find his set of rings he's going to look again, but until then is there anything else it could be or anything else I can try?

jimmy456
04-11-2010, 03:58 PM
By grouping, do you mean group size, as in 5 shots in a 2 inch circle, or where the shots are located in relation to the crosshairs? If all of your shots are hitting high or low off the target, you probably have the same problem I had. I couldn't get my shots on paper until I had the scope maxed out, so I put a 20 MOA base on the rifle, and now it's fine. Savage screwed up when they made my receiver. Yours is probably the same. I would send it back if this is the case. I didn't send mine in, but if I were to do it over again, I would, and I still may do it some day.
-Dan

Is there anything I would notice with my eye to be able to know if this is the problem or not?

rjtfroggy
04-11-2010, 06:42 PM
Can you post a picture of your set up? maybe someone will spot something.

jimmy456
04-11-2010, 07:04 PM
http://imgur.com/ByI6P.jpg

http://imgur.com/iyaIp.jpg

http://imgur.com/fa7N4.jpg

http://imgur.com/dqabY.jpg

http://imgur.com/48YZI.jpg

I know the rings are on backwards, we tried it as a last ditch effort. Hopefully these image links work. =) Thanks so much for your help guys I really appreciate it. And of course if you want me to take pictures from a different angle or of something specific, let me know and I will. Sorry for the crappy pictures I don't own a DSLR or anything.

ellobo
04-11-2010, 07:38 PM
Call Savage and explain your problem and what you have done to aleviate said problem. They may have some suggestions and if not they should have you return it postpaid with a ticket they will send you. You are right, a new rifle should not have this kind of problem.

El Lobo

z71rat
04-11-2010, 08:35 PM
From everything that I have read in this post, it doesn't seem to me that it is a problem with the rifle. You already stated the rifle was grouping OK, but you ran out of adjustment in the scope. I personally think that it is nothing more than the scope.

Throw a Super Sniper on it (or another scope) that has more range of adjustment to it, and I will just about bet you things greatly improve.

DK

jimmy456
04-11-2010, 08:40 PM
What are the chances though that both of the scopes I put on there would run out of adjustment? I put on the Simmons 2.8x10-44mm scope and the Bushnell I believe is a 3x9-40mm.

z71rat
04-11-2010, 09:28 PM
Please understand, I am not trying to be sarcastic or mean in any of my replies in any way. I am only trying to help. If all else fails, I am sure that Savage will be glad to help...

bore sighted it at my house with a laser bore sighter.
Take out your bolt and bore sight it looking through the barrel at 100 yards, and adjust the scope from there.

We checked to make sure that the barrel was free floated and that the screws were all tight.
This is a great first step to take. But later in your posts, you didn't seem to understand what the other replies were referring too.

We tried switching which ring was in the front.
This shouldn't be the case if they are high quality rings. I personally don't care for these particular rings (30MM version) from another quality problem that I had with them.

We even tried an older Bushnell 9-40 scope and still have not had much luck.
Again, if the scopes you try have roughly the same adjustment range... you will still the same problem.

We were able to get a small group together but it was very low and not where we were aiming at all. The problem seems to be that we keep running out of adjustment upward.
As much as I hate to ask this... are you sure you are adjusting the scope in the right direction?? I had an old Redfield scope that was mismarked from the factory.

Can you guys think of anything we haven't tried?
Try a scope with more erector adjustment range.

jimmy456
04-11-2010, 09:59 PM
I don't think I previously mentioned this, but I was doing most of this at 50yds just to try and get it on the paper.

We borrowed the bore sighter from someone, but we could try this again.

The person I was with checked to make sure the barrel was free floated, I did not know of the dollar bill test though.

These rings were rated relatively well by other people, but you can't believe everything you read.

I don't have any other access to other scopes and until I can prove it is the scope, I don't want to shell out money for another scope.

I am not afraid to admit this, but I don't know how to adjust a scope correctly and I was watching my friend do it. He is relatively experienced and I trust him, but he could have made a mistake on the Simmons, but the Simmons and the Bushnell both moving the wrong direction, I highly doubt this.

Try a scope with more erector adjustment range. <- I don&#39;t know what this means, but again I don&#39;t have access to another scope and I don&#39;t want to have to buy another one unless I am 100% sure that it is the problem.

I know you are not trying to be sarcastic and I appreciate any help that can be offered. I know I am a noob and my questions may seem menial. I just really want to get my gun and scope working properly together. Again, thanks for the help and the questions, which are helping me to learn more about my new hobby.

z71rat
04-11-2010, 10:41 PM
The erectors are the mechanical adjustment components of the scope. I wish I still had my Super Sniper 16x that I could let you borrow. They have awesome adjustment range for such a low priced scope. You can find used ones for around $250.

Honestly, I would do what I could to save up some cash and get a GOOD scope. There are plenty of really good scopes out there that are not very expensive for what you get. A rifle like that deserves some good glass on it anyways.

DK

jimmy456
04-11-2010, 10:44 PM
http://swfa.com/Vortex-6-24x50-Crossfire-Rifle-Scope-P43585.aspx

This any good? I might be able to swing that in a paycheck or two. Poor man here.

lostart
04-11-2010, 10:52 PM
I am thinking that this is a problem with your base. There is nothing wrong with the one you have, but the relation to your point of impact is off. I am assuming that you have a 0 moa base. I would suggest that you try a 20 moa base. This will bring the scope alignment up and hopefully bring you back into adjustment range. I would say that this is the only thing you have yet to try and is much more economical than a new scope.

jimmy456
04-11-2010, 10:55 PM
I was thinking that too. A new base is $40. Maybe I should do this. Any other folks seem to think that it could be the base?

bodywerks
04-12-2010, 04:42 AM
Is the EGW an MOA base? is it on backwards?

rjtfroggy
04-12-2010, 07:28 AM
Jimmy from your pics. the front bell of the scope appears to be resting on the mount, if it is all the adj. in the scope is going for naught. Slide it forward to get it off or do what I had to do with the base and cut one section off with a hack saw then file down the edge. After that turn those rings around and tighten down to 40in/lbs. and the rings to 18in/lbs..
Throw the bore sighter away, pull the bolt and sight through the barrel at 50 yards and with out moving the gun make the scope adjustments(helps to have 2 people doing this).
From all you are telling us I believe you have a mounting problem NOT A PROBLEM WITH THE RIFLE. Again make sure everything is tight but not over tight, and make sure there is clearance on everything including the scope.

jimmy456
04-12-2010, 09:50 AM
I don&#39;t believe that the base is on backwards, it had one side that was a little bit longer after the screw holes and it did not make sense to put that part in the back. The other side met flush with the back.

rjtfroggy
04-12-2010, 09:57 AM
It doesn&#39;t look as if it is backwards, read my previous post. It looks like the scope is contacting the base right at the beginning of the objective bell, if it is this is a no-no. There should be no contact anywhere other than where the tube fits into the rings.
Look at your first picture, it looks like there is contact right at the front of the mount, if there is move the rings ahead 1-2 notches to releive this contact piont.

jimmy456
04-12-2010, 10:01 AM
http://imgur.com/YajsX.jpg

http://imgur.com/YajsX&ZWhu1l

So it does look like the scope is touching, but it does also look like the base is mounted correctly to me.

rjtfroggy
04-12-2010, 10:15 AM
The base is right JUST move the rings forward to stop the contact. 1 or 2 notches.
Then recenter your scope, windage and elevation, then resite it.
Mechanical scope reset. Turn adjustments all the way out then turn all the way in counting how many clicks it takes to bottom out-then divide by 2 and bring back out that many clicks. This will center your scope the way it came from the factory- now the scope is set to sight in.

davemuzz
04-12-2010, 11:13 AM
Frog-man......good study.....good catch!!