PDA

View Full Version : Is it safe alter bullets

DanSavage
04-09-2010, 10:33 PM
I was wondering if it would hurt to cut off the lead tips on my .308 hunting ammo. It seems to me that it would be more accurate and uniform. Hunting bullets seems to be the only option around my area. I will reload as soon as I can afford to but it probably won't be for a year or so. Is it possible to sharpen lead tips or should I just leave them alone . Please let me know,thankyou.

Fjold
04-09-2010, 10:38 PM
There are "Meplat uniformers" that even up the points of bullets for match shooters. Doing it by hand will just mess up the bullet weight and screw up the ballistics.

pa hog
04-09-2010, 10:45 PM
Maybe get a Meplat Uniforming tool from Montour County Rifles, But the tip of a bullet in most application's other than long range shooting don't really effect Accuracy(Loss of some BC).

pa hog
04-09-2010, 10:46 PM
This quote sums it up nicely,

"It seems the cosmetics of the bullet somehow affects the confidence of the shooter more than the accuracy of the bullet"

DanSavage
04-09-2010, 11:22 PM
I am currently getting .74 at 100 with Prvi Partezan 150gr. bullets which I don't know anything about exept it's cheap. Is this accurate enough for woodchuck's at 400yrds?

Dirk
04-10-2010, 07:37 AM
If group sizes were linear, that would equate to 2.22 inches at 400 yards, but they are not always linear. The only way to tell what group size you will get at 400 yards is to shoot at a paper target at 400 yards and measure the group.

DanSavage
04-10-2010, 10:29 AM
Thank you everyone for your input. I'll try shooting at the max distance I plan on shooting woodchuck's at on paper. I will let you know the results. Hopefully scope cant won't be a problem, I eyeballed it and I know it is very close. I want to get used to popping chuck's so I'm ready for deer season this year.

dolomite_supafly
04-10-2010, 10:37 AM
Something you may want to watch for.

If the ammo is a FMJ with exposed lead on the bottom do not cut or file the tip off. I have read reports of people doing this and while shooting the lead core seperates from the jacket, leaving the jacket behind in the bore. I am sure this would make for a bad day if the next bullet some how got wedged by the jacket of the previous bullet.

If the base of the bullet is solid copper or if it is already a SP or HP I can not see where it would do the same thing.

Dolomite

Dirk
04-10-2010, 11:00 AM
This is what the OP wrote....

"I was wondering if it would hurt to cut off the lead tips on my .308 hunting ammo."
I think it is safe to say it's not FMJ bullets he's referring to!

DanSavage
04-10-2010, 12:02 PM
The bullet is a .308 sp 150gr. Prvi Partizan, exuse my english. Please let me know if anyone knows of this ammo. It seems fairly accurate for the money, and i'm stocked up on it. I'm using 10fp acc.trig weaver mounts center point 4-16x40 tact. scope 2'' above bore.

sharpshooter
04-10-2010, 12:34 PM
Altering the tips on a hunting bullet won't gain you anything. Just for grins and giggles, take four bullets and pinch the tip flat with a pair of pliars, and leave one as is and shoot a group.You might be surprized.

Dirk
04-10-2010, 02:03 PM
What Fred said is correct. Think of an outboard motor boat. It's the rear end that steers it. It's the same with bullets.

borg
04-13-2010, 08:01 PM
Death to woodchucks.