PDA

View Full Version : 12 F/TR issues

Pages : 1 [2]

jim_k
10-08-2014, 06:03 PM
I think you're going to have to send it back to Savage. I have seen two barrels from them, both chrome moly barrels, that were unfortunately made from bent bar stock. They will replace the barrel if it will not shoot for them. They did that to both of the other poor-grouping rifles I am aware of, and they both shot great after that. As in 0.277" for 5 shots at 100 yds. Their accuracy guarantee may be published as 1" at 100 yards, but they do not want the rifle to shoot that poorly, especially a 12 F/TR.
Jim

Mgysgt
10-16-2014, 06:03 PM
If the groups come at one time. For example all in one group and then all of sudden the next 5 in another group. It is probably your spot-weld or some other part of your position. Even with F Class, if you change something the group will change. Don't lift your head off the stock while waiting for the target. Don't scratch your bottom or change your leg position. Don't move for the entire 20 round string.

Tom

Patch700
10-17-2014, 06:24 PM
Going with what Sharpshooter mentioned I too would get a chronograph setup.... Pin protrusion should be cut back to 0.040" as it is most likely .055+.

I'm curious to know how it is that you're absolutely certain that the load is correct?... Granted it does sound like a mechanical problem , check action screws to be certain they are of proper length .

As far as using one of Johns bedding blocks that is certainly an option but I would at the very least do a light skim coat and be sure to FLOAT the rear tang area.

I had a 12F in 6.5x284 that would shoot very well once fouled to about 15 rounds but would need cleaning by 50 rounds (quite finicky) , one of the first things I did to get it to shoot before I replaced the barrel was give the bedding area a skim coat and re-did the pillars along with float the tang area.

Good luck.

Robinhood
11-01-2014, 04:03 PM
There are methods to eliminate poor accuracy problems and issues. What have you done to eliminate those potential issues? Do you have a list of the methods you used to do this? Can we share with us what you have done. Include your reloading equipment and the process, the name and brand of your optics as well. Give us the same information on the optics you have used to eliminate that chance. Can you post pictures of multiple targets wher the rifle repeats this two group issue.

jonbearman
11-03-2014, 10:46 AM
I realize we can load stiffer than the reloading manuals but according to hornady you are over book on your charge weight. Have you tried a ladder test starting low and working up. Then when you find a node then seating depth tests start. If it is bedded stress free and you are still fighting it then maybe you have a barrel that is simply no good or stressed to the max from manufacturing. I would break the nut free and retorque the barrel to make sure the factory didn't way over tighten it. I watched a video and they use an impact wrench to tighten it which is a crap shoot to me. I torque the barrels at no more than 50 foot pounds myself and never had a problem.

WindSurgeon
11-04-2014, 04:53 PM
I have an F Open rifle in .284 Winchester built on a Savage target action. Shooting 180 Berger VLD's its a laser. Your problems are that you are using a factory gun in a custom game. Originally, I went the same rout and was not competitive. Going to a Savage Target Action with custom barrel, PRT Lowboy, bedding block and custom trigger will do wonders for your confidence. They can be had used for about $1500 (300 more than the factory rifle new) and you usually can get the load development data and even the reamer if custom from the seller. The one I purchased was competition proven and the savage action is trued and the bolt is a PR&T custom. The barrel had 500 rounds down it when I purchased it and after 600 more it is still going strong. I have the reamer for the rifle so I dont have to re-figure things when the barrel goes south. Just buy another of the same and go. In .308 you should strive to use the heaviest bullet possible, so look for one that uses a reamer and barrel twist for the bullet you want to shoot (VLD, Hybrid, etc). Going this rout has been absolutely the best decision I have ever made on a competition rifle. It shoots much better than I do. Monitor Accurate Shooter.com, Sniper Hide.com and Benchrest Central. There are a lot of successful guys that change guns every year or two and are looking to sell to fund their next build. You might even score a deal on a rifle with a better action than a Savage.