PDA

View Full Version : SPC vs SPC II ????

Texas Solo
09-12-2014, 08:56 PM
I'm thinking of getting a 6.8 complete upper for my Colt AR. Shooting hogs with my Savage 308's is cool, but I really need the semi auto to kill more pigs.
I don't have much experience with this round, other than having shot one a few times...and I LIKED IT !!!
So while researching new uppers for the AR, I see 6.8 SPC and 6.8 SPC II. Anyone know the difference???

Nor Cal Mikie
09-12-2014, 09:49 PM
The SPC II has a longer throat so you can load/build hotter rounds. If you can't do it with the SPC, you probably can't do it with the SPC II either.
I built my bolt gun with the SPC so I could jam my bullets into the lands. So far, -1/2" groups seem to work pretty well for me.
If you need a hotter round in an AR, go .308 and be done with it. Or better yet, stick with a .223 and learn to use it.

justdave
09-12-2014, 11:33 PM
http://68forums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?56-6-8-SPC-Ammunition-amp-Reloading

Texas Solo
09-12-2014, 11:59 PM
The SPC II has a longer throat so you can load/build hotter rounds. If you can't do it with the SPC, you probably can't do it with the SPC II either.
I built my bolt gun with the SPC so I could jam my bullets into the lands. So far, -1/2" groups seem to work pretty well for me.
If you need a hotter round in an AR, go .308 and be done with it. Or better yet, stick with a .223 and learn to use it.

So it's a lot like the 5.56/.223 thing? If I read your reply correctly, that would mean that I can safely shoot SPC ammo in a SPC II chamber, correct?

Going .308 is not possible as I intend to use my current .5.56 lower. I know the .223 will work, but a new upper would be much more fun :)

Nor Cal Mikie
09-13-2014, 12:42 AM
Bottom line is "I LIKED IT" and a new upper would be much more fun? In that case, go for it. I prefer the .223 rather than swapping uppers to get the 6.8. My Colt is still .223. Ammo is easier to find in a pinch and a LOT cheaper.
Sounds like you've already got your mind made up but you need to read up on the 6.8 so you can make your own decision. In my case, I saw no need to go 6.8 in the AR BUT, that's just my opinion and we all think differtent.

justdave
09-13-2014, 08:51 AM
At this point in time, I don't believe it's possible to acquire a barrel or complete upper that's not spc II. I wanted a deer stand gun for kids that would get the job done and not beat them up. I bought a YHM upper that was on sale. The YHM is not super accurate, I did finally figure out a MOA load with sst's. After reading through the 6.8 forums, if I was starting over, I'd buy a good barrel and build around that. For now, it will work fine through the up coming deer season. I've also adopted it as my favorite pickup gun, it does hit with more authority than the .223.