PDA

View Full Version : 110 270 changing caliber

Pages : 1 [2]

mike0530
09-14-2014, 12:23 AM
What would be best caliber out of 300 WM, 7mm rm 280 rem, etc for off the shelf ammo until I Can venture into hand loading

bootsmcguire
09-14-2014, 12:31 AM
Around my area, of those 3 choices, 7mm Rem Mag is by far the easiest to find on the shelf. Your area may vary.

FEENIX
09-14-2014, 04:03 PM
What would be best caliber out of 300 WM, 7mm rm 280 rem, etc for off the shelf ammo until I Can venture into hand loading

That depends on what bullet weight and type you're looking for and if it's off the shelf or online, i.e. lately the HSM Berger 210 VLD are almost non-existent off the shelf and online. There are plenty off the shelf in my local area for 160g and lighter in 7MM Rem Mag and 180g and lighter for the .300 Win Mag. .280 Rem is not as plentiful as the magnums.

Mach2
09-14-2014, 06:09 PM
I have a 110 that's been sitting in the back of my safe since i purchased it back in 2000 i been throwing the idea around for some time about rechambering it in something like a 300 win mag if possible what i need help on is i want to build a long range precision gun on this action something lets say for 1000 yards competition what barrel, stock , trigger scope would you recommend and what is the best supplier this will be my first attempt at building one up myself i'm looking forward to it .

I read an article a few years back about a mule deer kill by a 270 at 730 yards.
I really love my 270 and I use it. However I think if your 270 has become a safe queen then changing calibers may be just the thing to make it an active rifle.

Hey Mike. What part of the country do you live?

bootsmcguire
09-14-2014, 09:09 PM
Well, I must be mistaken. I thought magnum cartridges required heavier actions than what the standards use. My bad.

No apologies needed, I make mistakes on a daily (hourly if you ask my wife) basis ;). All the long actions are able to handle the standard magnums. Only exceptions would be the 338 Lapua based rounds (which Savage makes a special action for) and some of the rounds that have the larger .580" and up bases like some of the Weatherbys.

foxx
09-14-2014, 10:29 PM
No apologies needed, I make mistakes on a daily (hourly if you ask my wife) basis ;). All the long actions are able to handle the standard magnums. Only exceptions would be the 338 Lapua based rounds (which Savage makes a special action for) and some of the rounds that have the larger .580" and up bases like some of the Weatherbys.

Yeah. I must have gotten that from hearing/reading about what it does or does not take to properly build the .338's. Thanks.

mike0530
09-17-2014, 03:19 AM
Yea she is definitely a safe queen and at the moment I'm residing in the great state of Arkansas.

Mach2
09-18-2014, 01:49 AM
My beef with Leopold's (sub $1300) is they mix and match turrets & reticle, AND have shyte for adjustment range.

God help us.

mattri
09-18-2014, 01:30 PM
It sounds like a really fun project- lots of good options out there.

One thing you might kick around is using the 270 as is for now. If you take that $800 budget for the build and put it toward a Vortex or other high quality/moderately priced optic you'll have a scope you can get used to shooting and will appreciate for years.

The 270 is a fine cartridge, the 30-06 is used in 1k comps all the time, it will probably be a while until you can shoot better than it can. In the meantime factory ammo is plentiful and inexpensive.

During the time you're shooting the 270 you can continue researching your project, picking components, saving some money etc. You can start shooting right away and will have great glass to use on whatever you end up building.

Just an opinion, worth exactly what you paid for it but something to kick around. Whichever way you go keep us posted and have a great time.

BobT
09-28-2014, 05:05 PM
OP a .300WM will serve quite well to 1000 yards and beyond, there are also lots of good .30 caliber bullets out there and quality factory ammo can be had as well. 26" will be plenty of barrel length, I would recommend a fairly heavy contour and/or a brake. While light rifles can be very accurate, weight is your friend when you start shooting long range. Dig in and have fun!

My beef with Leopold's (sub $1300) is they mix and match turrets & reticle, AND have shyte for adjustment range. I am shooting the snot out of the FFP mil/mil Primary Arms scope and loving it! The glass really is better than the SS 3-15. And it has a butt-load of adjustment.

The VX3 4.5-14 30MM CDS is far less than $1300 retail and has 113 minutes of windage and elevation adjustment. Add a 20 minute base and most any flat shooting long range round with a good bullet will get to a mile pretty easily with a little over half that adjustment. My VX2 3-9 x 40 has 52 minutes of adjustment, plenty for 1000 yards and a real world price of about 300 bucks. My 7MM Magnum uses up 26 minutes at 1000 yards with a 160 grain Accubond handload. Primary Arms doesn't list their adjustment range anywhere I could find.

Bob