PDA

View Full Version : duramaxx

Pages : 1 [2]

huntnm2001
09-14-2014, 12:05 AM
I ran a straight edge and everything seemed to be in line. I did replace the barrel but before I did that I sat the action with the factory barrel in the duramaxx and it was also off to the right. In the photo where the barrel is off to the side it is bolted in. In the photo of the tang I am holding the barrel in the correct position.. It is basically one OE the other, the barrel is straight and the tang is off or vice versa. The barreled action won't sit straight without the action bolts in place so I don't think the pillars are the issue. I am honestly stumped

bootsmcguire
09-14-2014, 12:09 AM
With the action out of the stock, screw in your action bolts and hold your straight edge up to them and see if the barrel is leaning one way or the other. As mentioned above, a bad recoil lug or metal particles between the action/lug/nut could tilt the barrel a bit.

huntnm2001
09-14-2014, 12:24 AM
Everything seems to be straight when the straight edge is against the bolts. I have had the barrel off and on a few times with no change in fit so I don't know if the recoil lug could be installed crooked

bootsmcguire
09-14-2014, 12:35 AM
This is a stumper. Without being able to handle it myself I am afraid I am out of ideas.

huntnm2001
09-14-2014, 12:46 AM
I wish I could figure it out. This is my first crack at any stock work and I guess I couldn't have been dealt a more challenging hand ha ha

pdog06
09-14-2014, 06:24 AM
Ok. If all lines up with the straight edge then the stock is straight and you have a bedding issue. The action or recoil lug is hitting somewhere and causing it to cock to one side.

Factory lug or aftermarket lug? The aftermarket one(like a SSS or northlander) tend to be longer and more square at the bottom and the stock needs to be inletted deeper and wider in the lug area.

Could also be the mag box bottoming out ?

huntnm2001
09-14-2014, 08:41 AM
It is an aftermarket lug. I have removed a lot of material to the sides of the lug. I could try and go a bit deeper. I thought of the mag box also so I removed it but that didn't help.

JCalhoun
09-14-2014, 08:49 AM
Without being there to see it let say again that almost all duramax stocks, including mine, have a curve. It starts just before the recoil lug recess and leans more as you go down the barrel channel. On mine I had to take coarse sandpaper and a wood dowel about a little wider than the barrel remove material from the barrel channel where the stock was touching.

huntnm2001
09-14-2014, 09:20 PM
Without being there to see it let say again that almost all duramax stocks, including mine, have a curve. It starts just before the recoil lug recess and leans more as you go down the barrel channel. On mine I had to take coarse sandpaper and a wood dowel about a little wider than the barrel remove material from the barrel channel where the stock was touching.
I took of bunch of material off the right side of the barrel channel and it seems to fit now! Thanks for the tip. Now I'll bed it and see what it looks like. It may never look pretty but if its functional I'll take it

JCalhoun
09-14-2014, 10:31 PM
Coolness.

GaCop
09-27-2014, 08:07 AM
I really like the Duramaxx stock, wish they'd make it again.......... AMEN to that!