PDA

View Full Version : Savage 16/116

agentjoey
09-11-2014, 01:11 PM
https://s3.amazonaws.com/savagefiles/firearms/models/full/u1HNv053X_s2oIK4mz8.pngI have never owned a Savage anything and I am about to purchase a specialty series 16/116 in Ruger 375. Does anyone have any experience with this rifle? How well does the muzzle brake work?
I like the fact that it can be closed easily. I really like the way the bolt feels on a A-bolt and a Mauser, how smooth is the action on this Savage rifle?
Thanks for the input. http://savagearms.com/firearms/model/16BH

Savage6x284
09-11-2014, 01:35 PM
The 116 is my favorite Savage series of rifles.
There is just no way that a brand new Savage will have a bolt throw as smooth as a well worn Mauser but you won't hate it and it'll get better with use. It also has a higher bolt lift than a A-bort due to the Savage being a two lug bolt and the A-bort a 3 lug.

While I personally despise muzzle brakes the one on the rifle above has the advantage of being closed when desired. They do get pretty hard to turn after a little powder residue builds up though so you need to clean it often.

What are you intending to use that .375 R on?

agentjoey
09-11-2014, 02:52 PM
The 116 is my favorite Savage series of rifles.
There is just no way that a brand new Savage will have a bolt throw as smooth as a well worn Mauser but you won't hate it and it'll get better with use. It also has a higher bolt lift than a A-bort due to the Savage being a two lug bolt and the A-bort a 3 lug.

While I personally despise muzzle brakes the one on the rifle above has the advantage of being closed when desired. They do get pretty hard to turn after a little powder residue builds up though so you need to clean it often.

What are you intending to use that .375 R on?

I usually hate muzzle brakes but shot after shot at the range with a 375 can give you somewhat of a headache. The option of being able to close it is what is so appealing about this rifle. I keep all my guns extremely clean and lightly oiled. I hope to be able to shoot at the range with plenty of ear protection with it open and hunt with it closed. I'm not sure how it will affect accuracy between open and closed. I realize it really shouldn't but I don't know if the difference in closed and open will affect the resonance of the barrel. First trip will be Bear hunting then hopefully off to Africa to chase a Cape Buffalo and some Kudu

Savage6x284
09-11-2014, 03:04 PM
I usually hate muzzle brakes but shot after shot at the range with a 375 can give you somewhat of a headache. The option of being able to close it is what is so appealing about this rifle. I keep all my guns extremely clean and lightly oiled. I hope to be able to shoot at the range with plenty of ear protection with it open and hunt with it closed. I'm not sure how it will affect accuracy between open and closed. I realize it really shouldn't but I don't know if the difference in closed and open will affect the resonance of the barrel. First trip will be Bear hunting then hopefully off to Africa to chase a Cape Buffalo and some Kudu

You are a lucky man! Enjoy!

big honkin jeep
09-11-2014, 09:28 PM
I have a couple of 116s including a nearly identically featured rifle to the bear hunter from back before the accutrigger and accustocks came along.
http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w188/bighonkinjeep/12abbd83-b62d-46b8-85ad-bdde902c244b_zps6337857d.jpg (http://s176.photobucket.com/user/bighonkinjeep/media/12abbd83-b62d-46b8-85ad-bdde902c244b_zps6337857d.jpg.html)
Back in the 90s Savage offered a 116 FLCSAK and being a left handed shooter I jumped at the chance to get one.
Mine is in 30-06 and is my favorite hunting rig. Even without the accutrigger and accustock it has all the other bells and whistles and is unbelievably accurate. The only thing I've done to it is adjust the trigger and work up a load. My best group is 10 shots into .446 and coring out the bullseye to one ragged hole with 4 rounds during sight in for the season is the norm.
I have a couple with the AK (adjustable) brake on em and it's very effective on 30-06 and .300RUM. I have made the mistake of unwittingly pulling the trigger on the RUM not realizing the brake was off. I wont make that mistake again, well not on purpose anyway LOL. I have not noticed any shift in POI between it being on or off just outstanding accuracy either way. As far as comparing the smoothness of the action I'd just say you need to go and feel one for yourself. I've never had it bind or cause me any problems and mine works just as it should ejecting, opening, stripping rounds from the mag, pushing em home and locking up with no undue effort.
I sure wish they would offer a rifle identical to the Bear Hunter in standard long action calibers again. Maybe a "Deer Hunter" version. Mine still shoots and functions flawlessly after all these years but I would sure like to have a newer one with the latest bells and whistles.
One thing's for sure, none of the other major manufacturers make anything that holds a candle to the features of the Bear Hunter even at double the price.

Blitzfike
09-11-2014, 09:51 PM
Being an old guy and having way more sensitivity to recoil than I did as a youngster, I find brakes to be a great addition. I shoot 300 win mag, 375 H&H and 458 win mag with brakes. The folks at the range will hate you if they sit next to you when shooting, so just warn them about the back blast. Another point, if shooting prone, get a LARGE mat, as you will be sandblasted thoroughly if you don't. Ask me how I know...

agentjoey
09-12-2014, 10:12 PM
Being an old guy and having way more sensitivity to recoil than I did as a youngster, I find brakes to be a great addition. I shoot 300 win mag, 375 H&H and 458 win mag with brakes. The folks at the range will hate you if they sit next to you when shooting, so just warn them about the back blast. Another point, if shooting prone, get a LARGE mat, as you will be sandblasted thoroughly if you don't. Ask me how I know...
Thanks for the advice on the prone position shooting, never thought about that. I guess it would stir up some stuff if your face.

jgrfans
09-26-2014, 06:47 PM
I don't want to hijack the thread just hoping to get a little assistance for a gift I'm working on. Any input on my seperate thread would be great!

Hello Savage Shooters,

I am trying to find the diameter of the OEM/stock muzzle brake (http://www.longrangehunting.com/store/muzzle-brakes.html) on the 375R Savage Bear Hunter model 16. I want to get a clamp on muzzle brake for my brothers rifle. I am leaning towards the clamp on as a gift when he returns to the area on leave from the military next week. I found one I like form Kahntrol. The issue is Kahntrol needs to know the diameter of the stock muzzle break to make sure it will funxtion properly. This is a problem since I can't measure the rifle #1- without giving it away and #2- I am out of state and not where the rifle is. The rifle is not a hunter and has been repurposed for long distance shooting.

Does any one have a stock muzzle brake they could measure? I called Savage and they would not give it to me. They suggested I go to the SAMMI site on the web. Did that and found nothing. Or does anyone have suggestions on how I can find this measurement I am at a loss?

Thanks,

Andrew