PDA

View Full Version : Action screw help!

Pages : [1] 2

Bigeclipse
09-10-2014, 06:08 PM
Ok so I bought a new bell and carlson medalist sporter stock for my older preaccutrigger savage 110. The stock looks and feels great but there is one big issue. The front action screw bottoms out a decent ways before it tightens the stock down on to the aluminum bedding block. Since this is an older savage could it be my action screws are simply too long for the B&C stock or could it be an error in the stock? Fitment for the rest of the stock is actually almost perfect so I suspect it may be the older action screws...if that is the case what should I do? Is there anywhere I can buy newer action screws? If so...is the threading the same?

LHitchcox
09-10-2014, 06:26 PM
You can shorten the screw easily enough with a grinder or a cut off disc. I typically shorten the action screws on my rifles by a thread or two because of past issues with them bottoming out.

Bigeclipse
09-10-2014, 06:32 PM
It looks like id have to take off 1-2mm which seems like quite a bit...what if it does not leave a lot of thread...how much thread is needed?

Balljoint
09-10-2014, 07:02 PM
If you need to shorten the action screws you can go to the hardware store and replace them with allen head cap screws with the same thread size not sure of size eather 1/4 x20 or 1/4 x 28

gotcha
09-10-2014, 07:06 PM
The rule I follow is Military aircraft spec. which requires three full revolutions of screw into a nut. Use the bayonet on your calipers to get a rough idea of how long the screw should be. Cut or file then test by putting a Sharpie smear on cut portion of screw and look for contact. Cut/file a little more if necessary....... I should add that I've seen as little as one & three quarters turns on a front action screw to be adequate to hold a stock firmly.

Bigeclipse
09-10-2014, 07:45 PM
The rule I follow is Military aircraft spec. which requires three full revolutions of screw into a nut. Use the bayonet on your calipers to get a rough idea of how long the screw should be. Cut or file then test by putting a Sharpie smear on cut portion of screw and look for contact. Cut/file a little more if necessary....... I should add that I've seen as little as one & three quarters turns on a front action screw to be adequate to hold a stock firmly.

It looks about 5-6 threads stick above the aluminum block. I think I will have to remove about 2 thread lengths. That would leave me about 3 threads which should be about 3 full turns...hopefully...

Bigeclipse
09-10-2014, 08:00 PM
Also...I noticed the barrel channel will need opening up...it allows for one business card but 2 is tight which is weird as the barrel currently on the rifle is pretty dang thin.

foxx
09-10-2014, 08:04 PM
1 is enough for me.

Bigeclipse
09-11-2014, 07:00 AM
1 is enough for me.

I was just surprised as the B&C stock I got for my remington had a much larger gap...just about 3 business cards and since they were the same stock...I expected similar results for this savage since it also wears a thin factory barrel.

FEENIX
09-11-2014, 07:20 AM
Do you have room for a (thicker) washer?

Bigeclipse
09-11-2014, 01:51 PM
Do you have room for a (thicker) washer?

what would be considered "thicker" washer, but my guess is yes. And could this be an issue with accuracy? not sure if it would allow for more play or something...

Old Guy
09-11-2014, 02:27 PM
When I put my model 11 into a Boyds stock, I ordered Boyds action screws. The front action screw stuck up into the action so far it kept the bolt from closing. I ended up taking off about 6-7 threads with a dremel and a cut-off wheel (after measuring and re-measuring and re-measuring). I get about three turns on it by the time it tightens up. A little blue locktite give me some reassurance that it won't back off while shooting.
So, you can cut/grind the bolt to length or replace it. BTW, yours may be different, but the threads on mine are 1/4x28.

FEENIX
09-11-2014, 04:25 PM
what would be considered "thicker" washer, but my guess is yes. And could this be an issue with accuracy? not sure if it would allow for more play or something...

The same thickness you are trying to cut the thread off.

My SAKOM995 in .300 Win Mag action screws came with washers ... I harvested a bull elk with it last year at 931 yards.

ADDED: http://www.quora.com/Why-do-we-use-washers-with-screws

Bigeclipse
09-12-2014, 07:00 AM
Good to know!

Bigeclipse
09-14-2014, 11:12 AM
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-SnQelVl2rRo/VBWnzcl7CdI/AAAAAAAALYY/bHemIej0GP8/w406-h541-no/20140914_101635_resized.jpg

Bigeclipse
09-14-2014, 11:13 AM
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-gXWcRHYn9WI/VBWnvzixrGI/AAAAAAAALYQ/UFE4d_CwqKI/w406-h541-no/20140914_101550_resized.jpg

Bigeclipse
09-14-2014, 11:15 AM
The same thickness you are trying to cut the thread off.

My SAKOM995 in .300 Win Mag action screws came with washers ... I harvested a bull elk with it last year at 931 yards.

ADDED: http://www.quora.com/Why-do-we-use-washers-with-screws

When I put my model 11 into a Boyds stock, I ordered Boyds action screws. The front action screw stuck up into the action so far it kept the bolt from closing. I ended up taking off about 6-7 threads with a dremel and a cut-off wheel (after measuring and re-measuring and re-measuring). I get about three turns on it by the time it tightens up. A little blue locktite give me some reassurance that it won't back off while shooting.
So, you can cut/grind the bolt to length or replace it. BTW, yours may be different, but the threads on mine are 1/4x28.

So please see the links I attached above...I went a bought new screws as the old ones were the flat head screws and I couldn't torque them down properly...the new ones have a taller head so stick out from the stock a bit which I dont mind but I was wondering if these are the same ones you guys bought or you were able to find a shorter profile head?

If you need to shorten the action screws you can go to the hardware store and replace them with allen head cap screws with the same thread size not sure of size eather 1/4 x20 or 1/4 x 28 please read post and click pic links above

FEENIX
09-14-2014, 04:13 PM
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-SnQelVl2rRo/VBWnzcl7CdI/AAAAAAAALYY/bHemIej0GP8/w406-h541-no/20140914_101635_resized.jpg

You need shorter screws with that picture. Call Savage if they have a shorter screw size or recommendations other than doing it yourself if you have the means to do it.

Bigeclipse
09-14-2014, 04:24 PM
You need shorter screws with that picture. Call Savage if they have a shorter screw size or recommendations other than doing it yourself if you have the means to do it.

The screws are plenty short...just the heads are too tall...so I was wondering if the screws I got from ACE hardware were the wrong ones. I didnt see shorter ones. The threads fit perfectly and they will work for now until I find better. If you look at the other pic you can see the screw I bought and the factory one I had. I will try savage but I was hoping to find some at a local hardware store...ill try a couple others before I call savage.

Maztech89
09-14-2014, 09:07 PM
Why don't you just trim them and be done with it? Save you from messing around with washers and stuff. Just keep taking some off and trying them out until you can fully operate the bolt with no interference while having them tightened down.