PDA

View Full Version : Action screw help!

Pages : 1 [2]

FEENIX
09-14-2014, 09:37 PM
The screws are plenty short...just the heads are too tall...so I was wondering if the screws I got from ACE hardware were the wrong ones. I didnt see shorter ones. The threads fit perfectly and they will work for now until I find better. If you look at the other pic you can see the screw I bought and the factory one I had. I will try savage but I was hoping to find some at a local hardware store...ill try a couple others before I call savage.

On the picture, the screws are still too long because the heads are not flushed below the countersink.

foxx
09-14-2014, 10:09 PM
Why don't you just trim them and be done with it? Save you from messing around with washers and stuff. Just keep taking some off and trying them out until you can fully operate the bolt with no interference while having them tightened down.

There you go.

Bigeclipse
09-15-2014, 07:28 AM
On the picture, the screws are still too long because the heads are not flushed below the countersink.

FEENIX...maybe we are mis communicating...the screws are not to long the heads are simpyl taller than the counter sink in the stock...thats why I said look at the other picture comparing the head length. I guess the heads I need are called button topped heads and they can be hard to find except ordering from savage.

Bigeclipse
09-15-2014, 07:30 AM
There you go.

Why don't you just trim them and be done with it? Save you from messing around with washers and stuff. Just keep taking some off and trying them out until you can fully operate the bolt with no interference while having them tightened down.

ALL,
These have all been trimmed. They DO NOT bottom out on the action anymore...what is happening is these NEW screws I got have such tall heads. The heads are taller than the hole in the stock...there is NOTHING I can trim on the head itself. I got the wrong screws. I guess what I need is button top screws which have a much shorter head. In the one picture comparing the screw heads, you can see what I am talking about.

BillPa
09-15-2014, 08:41 AM
In the one picture comparing the screw heads, you can see what I am talking about.

Those you bought are common 1/4-28 allen head cap screws. What you want are these...
https://www.boltdepot.com/Product-Details.aspx?product=13223

Buy them long then cut them to length.

Bill

FEENIX
09-15-2014, 09:39 AM
FEENIX...maybe we are mis communicating...the screws are not to long the heads are simpyl taller than the counter sink in the stock...thats why I said look at the other picture comparing the head length. I guess the heads I need are called button topped heads and they can be hard to find except ordering from savage.

Perhaps, but the bottomline, unless you're OK as-is, you need the right length and head so it is flushed accordingly onto the counter sink hole.

As previously noted, call Savage. Go to the partfinder (you'll need your rifle's S/N) the IPB will give you the OEM part, however, if you give the length you need, they can cross reference it; it cost me $2.00 for each screw IIRC. That's the route I took because I can't find the right screw locally and no means to shorten them cleanly/ correctly even I did find them.

Bigeclipse
09-15-2014, 10:26 AM
Perhaps, but the bottomline, unless you're OK as-is, you need the right length and head so it is flushed accordingly onto the counter sink hole.

As previously noted, call Savage. Go to the partfinder (you'll need your rifle's S/N) the IPB will give you the OEM part, however, if you give the length you need, they can cross reference it; it cost me $2.00 for each screw IIRC. That's the route I took because I can't find the right screw locally and no means to shorten them cleanly/ correctly even I did find them.

I may have to do that...I have heard savage charges like 15 bucks shipping on 6 dollars worth of action screws which is kind of steep but if I cant find them locally I will do that.

Bigeclipse
09-15-2014, 10:27 AM
Those you bought are common 1/4-28 allen head cap screws. What you want are these...
https://www.boltdepot.com/Product-Details.aspx?product=13223

Buy them long then cut them to length.

Bill

Thanks for the tip!

rjtfroggy
09-15-2014, 10:31 AM
Go to mcmaster carr they will have what ever you need.

FEENIX
09-15-2014, 10:56 AM
I may have to do that...I have heard savage charges like 15 bucks shipping on 6 dollars worth of action screws which is kind of steep but if I cant find them locally I will do that.

I ended up getting spare parts to offset the shipment cost.

BillPa
09-15-2014, 11:45 AM
I have heard savage charges like 15 bucks shipping on 6 dollars worth of action screws .

My last order (11-2013) for six each extractors, ejectors -springs was fifty-four dollars, six bucks S&H. Maybe it changed since ATK???

Bill

FEENIX
09-15-2014, 11:57 AM
My last order (11-2013) for six each extractors, ejectors -springs was fifty-four dollars, six bucks S&H. Maybe it changed since ATK???

Bill

Mine was similar to yours except for quantities and the set of action screws.