PDA

View Full Version : Stock choices help me decide.

snowgetter1
09-10-2014, 02:36 AM
Will be doing a PTA with my 28" bull barreled 243 wssm. Main use target and pdogs. I want a heavy stock, or a stock that can have weight added. My top picks are the BC style 5 adjustable, manners t5 thumbhole, bobby hart LRT, or a boyds varmint thumbhole. I have had a BC medalist 2 and did not like the thick grip area and a choate for the same reason. Does the BC 5 have a thick grip area? Thanks

jonbearman
09-10-2014, 07:03 AM
You wont need a lot if any weight with the BC5 and the grip is similar to what you had. I have a hart stock and I have smaller hands and I like it,it is a fairly heavy stock,but may be the best for varminting and some target work with affordability being on its side. The manners is a top notch stock and if you can afford it ,the best of the bunch.

Savage6x284
09-10-2014, 11:16 PM
Why not consider one of the many spectacular offerings from McMillan?
Nobody on this site ever mentions McMillan. Why?
Similar in price to the Manners and as good, if not better quality.

snowgetter1
09-11-2014, 01:45 PM
Why not consider one of the many spectacular offerings from McMillan?
Nobody on this site ever mentions McMillan. Why?
Similar in price to the Manners and as good, if not better quality.

The manners is at the top of my price range. McMillan stocks are way out of my budget. Cost would be my guess.

Savage6x284
09-11-2014, 03:00 PM
The manners is at the top of my price range. McMillan stocks are way out of my budget. Cost would be my guess.

Why do people think that McMillan stocks are more expensive than other top quality synthetic stocks? They simply aren't. Many of the prices I saw on the Manners website were much higher than what a similar McM costs.
I think the mistake people make is that they look at the prices directly from McM. McM keeps their network of dealers happy by just posting full boat retail prices on their website. Their dealers however can set whatever prices they wish and these prices are often WAY under the price listed on the McM website.
I've only used one dealer for all of my McMillan stocks and that has been Rick Bin, the owner of the 24hourcampfire site. He's one of the largest McM dealers and his prices and service are fantastic.
Personally I'd prefer if McM didn't post any prices at all on their website and instead just referred customers to their dealer network. As it is the prices on the site just scare people away from McM altogether.
All this said, even if the prices for McMillan stocks were the prices posted on the McM site I'd still think them a bargain given the quality and the insane level of available inlets.

At least look in Rick Bin's McMillan store.

snowgetter1
09-11-2014, 05:47 PM
I will check it out thanks.