PDA

View Full Version : Tacticool finish

Maxxwell86
09-09-2014, 09:45 PM
Anybody know what the basic black finish on the tacticool stock consists of? I want to use a compatible product when I dress it up a bit.

BlueDog
09-09-2014, 10:03 PM
It's something cheap, it doesn't adhere the best and is easily scratched. I can't think that's is anything more than a regular black paint top coated with a splatter. I am going to try Alumahyde II over mine.

sharpshooter
09-10-2014, 12:26 AM
Truck bed liner paint.

Maxxwell86
09-10-2014, 09:56 AM
Truck bed liner paint.

Seriously?

jpdown
09-10-2014, 08:01 PM
Whatever a Tacticool is painted with, it is fairly thin and does not hold up very well as already mentioned. So after doing a bedding and pillar job, I re-painted with DuraCoat and black over silver Krylon webbing paint.

http://i266.photobucket.com/albums/ii276/jpdown/PICT0062_zps3c3dd9c4.jpg (http://s266.photobucket.com/user/jpdown/media/PICT0062_zps3c3dd9c4.jpg.html)

foxx
09-10-2014, 08:02 PM
nice

Maxxwell86
09-10-2014, 11:11 PM
Whatever a Tacticool is painted with, it is fairly thin and does not hold up very well as already mentioned. So after doing a bedding and pillar job, I re-painted with DuraCoat and black over silver Krylon webbing paint.

Did you just light sand for adhesion or take it down to bare laminate? How did you apply the Krylon webbing paint?

sharpshooter
09-10-2014, 11:45 PM
Seriously?
Yes...seriously. I have a few that I've used it on and it is TOUGH. Apply a few coats of flat black primer first. Make sure you hold the spray can about 2 feet away to get the texture right.

jpdown
09-11-2014, 09:47 AM
I just lightly sanded instead of taking it down to bare wood. Cleaned with acetone. Air brushed on Duracoat base. Then used small rattle cans of Krylon webbing paint. Practice first on cardboard. I got a little heavy on the silver. So I came back over the top with black webbing to tone down. If you mess up, the webbing paint cleans off with acetone without taking off the Duracoat. I have also used this approach to sponge on camo paint. I apply a light colored Duracoat base. Spray some darker colored rattle can camo paints in a bowl and use a small sponge to apply a camo pattern. Yes, Krylon webbing paint and regular rattle can spray paint comes off at wear points (eg., stock grip) and gun cleaning or chemical solvents will remove most rattle can paint. But fairly easy to touch up as needed.

GaCop
09-11-2014, 10:53 AM
It's something cheap, it doesn't adhere the best and is easily scratched. I can't think that's is anything more than a regular black paint top coated with a splatter. I am going to try Alumahyde II over mine. Alumahyde II works very well.

Maxxwell86
09-11-2014, 09:44 PM
Looks like I've got some good choices now...thanks!