PDA

View Full Version : OK here we go

Okiefrog
09-09-2014, 12:14 AM
Hello,
my name is Jeff, as I mentioned in my introductory post I live in Oklahoma and am the usual gun nut, my collection varies from shotguns convertible to pistol grips and short barrels that will change into pistol grip A2 style stock and a longer barrel for hunting. My greatest experience hunting is rabbits with Beagles but have hunted most digestible game in my life.
I also have an aversion for what the liberals refer to as assault weapons but in reality there is no such thing. All of my finer collectibles have lower capacity magazines as I'm not the nut to hunt with a banana magazine but at the same time after shoulder surgeries the pistol grips are a benefit Congress has not considered LOL.
Anyhow As mentioned before I am here to get help identifying a Legacy Savage Rifle that is an heirloom someone I work with. It has not been stored properly and I'm going to clean it up and get it stored properly without taking down the original bluing.
I will have pictures soon as I have not taken possession of it yet but I know the caliber to be 300. The only identifiable numbers on the breech are an "A" inside a circle and then the number 18294 and then 3 interlocked "zeros" described as the top half of the olympic symbol.
Web searched by number it got 2 hits, one made in 1900 and the other made in 1901 - but the "A" may be a 1949 mark as well. I know from researching other vintage firearms these forge stamps can have various meanings.
Anyway the help I am asking for is to identify whether it is 300 automag or 300 Rem, I'm new to the caliber and actually unaware of the actual difference.
I grew up around guns and have a couple that old myself so I know how not to damage the bluing but it does have some surface rust and I'm sure by it's age in the right lighting would show the correct Bettina.
Anyways if anybody knows the information to help me get it properly identified as I intend to shoot it to test (:cool:) it out before we set it up for proper storage I would appreciate the advice.
I am not scared of modern ammo and cartridge pressures as these old shootin irons don't have a shortage of chamber meat to handle large rounds LOL.
But seriously answer me back and Emails and Pms will be appreciated- this is not a one post or one day project

bootsmcguire
09-09-2014, 12:27 AM
Perhaps is a 300 Savage?

Okiefrog
09-09-2014, 12:36 AM
Perhaps is a 300 Savage?

That much we know, does that mean 300 is the actual model? Or are you saying Savage has it's own casing profile for the 300 round?

bootsmcguire
09-09-2014, 12:44 AM
There are 3 cartridges with the Savage name on them, the Savage 22 High Power, the 250-3000 Savage, and the 300 Savage.

What type of rifle is this? Bolt Action, Lever Action, Break Action? other?

EDIT: actually there are four, I forgot about the 303 Savage.

Okiefrog
09-09-2014, 12:52 AM
Bolt action if memory serves I seen a picture of it about a year ago, I'll have it in hand soon and updated pics sooner as she is finally believing me about saving it and then getting it properly stored

Okiefrog
09-09-2014, 12:53 AM
Saving is the wrong word - I meant rescuing it

Okiefrog
09-11-2014, 11:16 AM
Ok I got some poor images , looks like maybe oriental marks on it?., more better pictures later

J.Baker
09-12-2014, 09:18 AM
Sharing the pictures might help, just sayin... Kinda hard for any of us to tell you what you have when you give us next to nothing to go on. :thumb:

GaCop
09-12-2014, 03:31 PM
Ya got my curiosity up..........looking forward to pictures.

defcon9
09-13-2014, 10:41 AM
:pop2: