PDA

View Full Version : 11/111 Trophy Hunter XP stock questions

randazzo87
09-08-2014, 08:25 PM
hello,
I just purchased 11/111 Trophy Hunter XP 30-06. I like the gun just can not stand the flimsy stock. I knew not to except much for so little coin. My model has the bolt release on the bottom of the trigger guard. I'm looking into getting a boyds stock but boyds says i will need to purchase the bottom metal component system. I was wondering if there is any way I could just do away with the detachable mag and use a blind mag stock. If so what will I need to do this? If possible could you guys point me into the right direction with part numbers and where to purchase from. This will be my first little rifle project so please be easy on me.
thanks,
Nick

jpdown
09-08-2014, 09:03 PM
You can go with a Savage LA CF blind magazine stock. Just pop the plastic bottom cap off the metal Drop Box magazine box and follower. You can purchase a metal L-clip from Savage Arms Parts to hold the magazine in place in the stock. Or, I just put 4 small balls of plumbers epoxy putty in the corners of blind stock well, tape the magazine box to the action in the correct position using a business card as a spacer between the magazine lips and bolt. Put release agent on the magazine box and reassemble action in stock pressing the corners of the magazine box into the putty. Wait 5 minutes and remove the action and magazine box from the stock. You now have a bed for the magazine box to hold it at the proper height for feeding cartridges and keep it from moving around in the well. Trim away excess putty with a knife before it hardens completely. I put two small wood screws in the grooves on each side of the magazine box to hold it in place since the follower spring will ten to push it upward against the action.

The other option is to purchase the plastic DBM frame assembly (surround) from Savage Arms Parts and use it with your current plastic bottom DBM in a LA CF DBM. I would order a metal trigger guard from SAP at the same time to replace the cheap plastic one. Contact SAP with your rifle serial number number and they can fix you up.