PDA

View Full Version : Convert FROM top release TO bottom Release?

Digduggy
09-08-2014, 08:04 PM
Can't seem to find out if it is possible to swap from top to bottom bolt release... I am looking at a chassis that I may have to switch it for...

bshinn
09-08-2014, 09:05 PM
I' in the opposite boat, have bottom, looking for top!

Robinhood
09-12-2014, 07:47 PM
There are provisions in each action that accommodate the particular release that comes with the action. One is not set up for the other. If you have a mill then the conversion is rather easy if you have a sample to copy. Seems like there were some guys who used the top release sear with the bottom release action with some success but there may have been some removal of material from the stock in the release area required, and maybe some bending of some brittle metal on the sear that was risqué. The top release has a flat milled into the side of the receiver that the bottom release does not. I have rigged a few bottom releases for top release chassis by fabricating a release lever "extension" and modifying the trigger guard. But that's something I would leave up to the individual to conquer that project. With a Dremel tool many things can happen in the right hands, and either action can easily be made to work with either stock.