PDA

View Full Version : Sporter barrel in a varmint channel stock

romad97
09-08-2014, 06:18 PM
I currently have a barreled action that I need a stock for. Every stock that I find that I like seems to be for a varmint contoured barrel. How goofy does a sporter barrel look inside of a varmint contour channel? I have never seen one.

darkker
09-08-2014, 06:24 PM
That is a personal fashion issue, so....
To me, they don't look "funny", they look like there is more chance for cooling.. $0.02

olddav
09-08-2014, 09:42 PM
I would think that it would look goofy, but it could be an opportunity to do something creative. Glue (Acraglass) some exotic wood and recut the barrel channel perhaps. Or just let it look goofy.

GaCop
09-09-2014, 08:01 AM
You could always glass bed the sporter barrel into the larger barrel channel to make it look better. Wrap the sporter barrel in a layer of masking tape, clay at the muzzle end of the barrel channel to keep the bedding materiel in the channel. Put one layer of masking tape of the front of the recoil lug, wax the barrel and recoil lug well and your all set to bed the barrel with Acraglass, Devcon or Marine Tex. The masking tape with allow the barrel to be free floated when the bedding hardens and the tape is removed.

D.ID
09-09-2014, 11:06 PM
That is a personal fashion issue, so....
To me, they don't look "funny", they look like there is more chance for cooling.. $0.02

Big +1.............just like big v8: Let it breath.
Of course this philosophy requires you to accept that it is a tool and not a shiny fashion statement.

sixonetonoffun
09-10-2014, 01:51 AM
Probably not brush friendly but aside.from that another +1 with darkker.

gotcha
09-10-2014, 07:51 PM
You could always slide a piece of black garden hose over the barrel and pretend its HV :)