PDA

View Full Version : Kestrel Weather Station 3500 vs 4000

archerben
09-08-2014, 04:35 PM
I'm heavily considering picking up a Kestrel weather station to assist in accurate long range shooting (long range defined as 500 - 1000). The two options I'm looking at are the Kestrel 3500 and the Kestrel 4000 with bluetooth. The 3500 has all the data I'm interested in, but is not bluetooth capable. The 4000 is bluetooth capable, meaning it can connect to and automatically input the weather data into my shooter app (Shooter on Android). The drawback to the 4000 is the extra $140 it will cost to get the bluetooth capability. If it works well with the Shooter app, it might be worth the extra coin. Does anybody here have experience with a bluetooth Kestrel and connecting to a ballistics app? If so, how well does it work? Any other advice on the subject is welcome also.

keith1
09-09-2014, 12:14 AM
I have a 4500 but not the AB. I got it mostly for the crosswind feature because where I shoot has strong and tricky winds. It has really helped me with those winds.

Over on the Snipers Hide Brian Litz and another engineer have a big thread going about the 4500 AB. The thread is in the External Ballistics section.

Regards, Keith

JCalhoun
09-09-2014, 05:19 PM
The to the Kestrel or any other wind is that it can only you what the wind is doing where you are holding it. I have shot 1000y matches and seen the wind flags blowing in 3 different directions at the same time.

keith1
09-09-2014, 07:49 PM
If you ever shoot on the Parris Island range you will see the range flags flying in different directions also. I don't shoot in competition any more just include a few shots in my daily walks. The Kestral sure has helped me to get more hits this summer.

Keith