PDA

View Full Version : steel bases and rings for older savage 110

Bigeclipse
09-08-2014, 03:21 PM
I have heard there is a difference between newer and older savage 110s for which bases you would bee to buy. Im pretty confident mine is older...it is pre-accutrigger. I am looking for decent steel bases and rings for a 300 win mag build im working on

foxx
09-08-2014, 03:33 PM
The only concern is whether the back half of the action top is flat or round like the front half. They are called "flat back" or "round back". There's no doubt if you look at it. There are also long actions and short actions. 300 win mag is long. 300 Winchester Short Mag is short.

Bigeclipse
09-08-2014, 04:34 PM
It is a long action flat back...

Bigeclipse
09-08-2014, 04:34 PM
The only concern is whether the back half of the action top is flat or round like the front half. They are called "flat back" or "round back". There's no doubt if you look at it. There are also long actions and short actions. 300 win mag is long. 300 Winchester Short Mag is short.

It is a long action flat back

FEENIX
09-08-2014, 07:36 PM
I know you want steel but I have a 20 MOA EGW on my Savage 111F in .300 Win Mag (rear flat back), bedded it, replaced the screws with Torx in steel and it has held up for many years without any problem. Burris signature zee rings with inserts has serve me well for many years.

Of course there are steel and more expensive once too. :p

Bigeclipse
09-08-2014, 07:38 PM
I know you want steel but I have a 20 MOA EGW on my Savage 111F in .300 Win Mag (rear flat back), bedded it, replaced the screws with Torx in steel and it has held up for many years without any problem. Burris signature zee rings with inserts has serve me well for many years.

It currently has aluminum based and rings from leupold that have held up fine...it is currently 7mm rem mag but im afraid the 300 win may be a tad too much.

FEENIX
09-08-2014, 08:28 PM
It currently has aluminum based and rings from leupold that have held up fine...it is currently 7mm rem mag but im afraid the 300 win may be a tad too much.

You'll be surprise how strong those aircraft aluminums are.

GaCop
09-09-2014, 08:09 AM
An aluminum EGW base will hold up just fine with the 300 Win Mag. As stated, go with the Burris Signature rings.

BillPa
09-09-2014, 08:32 AM

If the aluminum bases -rings hold up on my son's NEF 10ga splatter gun I don't think you'll have much to worry about using them on your pipsqueak 300. :p

Bill

Bigeclipse
09-09-2014, 09:07 AM
If the aluminum bases -rings hold up on my son's NEF 10ga splatter gun I don't think you'll have much to worry about using them on your pipsqueak 300. :p

Bill

An aluminum EGW base will hold up just fine with the 300 Win Mag. As stated, go with the Burris Signature rings.

You'll be surprise how strong those aircraft aluminums are.

Thanks guys...I have just heard that you should try to avoid aluminum with mag rifles. Maybe I will see how the ones I have hold up with blue lock tite.

big honkin jeep
09-09-2014, 09:27 AM
If you have a set of Leupold bases and rings on it already then as long as they're torqued to spec and tight then you're good to go. The 2 piece setups also provide better access to the ejection port and make loading fixed mags a lot easier. Though the quality seems good,the EGW picatinny style bases seem to set up a little too high for me making a cheek riser necessary to look through the scope properly. The HD version sits a lower but I don't think they make it for a flat back. You may be able to find an older set of Weaver Grand Slam bases and rings or Warne Maxima which would be made of steel. Long action flat back bases and rings are getting harder to find. Myself I prefer dual dove tails if I can get em but they are virtually non existent for the old flat backs. The easiest thing would be to stick with what you've got. They're plenty sturdy if properly installed. Good luck

Bigeclipse
09-09-2014, 11:54 AM
If you have a set of Leupold bases and rings on it already then as long as they're torqued to spec and tight then you're good to go. The 2 piece setups also provide better access to the ejection port and make loading fixed mags a lot easier. Though the quality seems good,the EGW picatinny style bases seem to set up a little too high for me making a cheek riser necessary to look through the scope properly. The HD version sits a lower but I don't think they make it for a flat back. You may be able to find an older set of Weaver Grand Slam bases and rings or Warne Maxima which would be made of steel. Long action flat back bases and rings are getting harder to find. Myself I prefer dual dove tails if I can get em but they are virtually non existent for the old flat backs. The easiest thing would be to stick with what you've got. They're plenty sturdy if properly installed. Good luck

What do you all like to torque to on the bases and rings?

FEENIX
09-09-2014, 08:54 PM
What do you all like to torque to on the bases and rings?

EGW recommends screws torqued to 20 inch pounds with a dab of blue loctite - as noted above, I bed them too. Burris tech support recommends T-15 torx ring screws torqued to 20 inch pounds.

http://forum.accurateshooter.com/index.php?topic=3771348.0