PDA

View Full Version : Poor grouping-7 mm Mag trophy 111-Help

Pages : 1 [2]

BillPa
10-28-2014, 10:05 AM
Some might look at me funny for recommending this, but it's always worth a shot - try putting a cardboard or similar type shim between the barrel and the tip of the forend of the stock that's thick enough to just put some light pressure on the barrel. . / (http://www.limbsaver.com/product/limbsaver-barrel-de-resonator/)

Most rifles will shoot they're best with the barrel floated from the recoil lug forward but not always. My little 270 (270-308 Imp) shoots light years better with a pressure point near the forend with it's 22" LWT (.560" muzzle) barrel, 1-1/2" aggs vs .5".

By the same token some like the first two or three inches of the barrel bedded forward the lug.

Its one of those things you just have to play with.

Bill

wbm
10-28-2014, 10:17 AM
Some might look at me funny for recommending this, but it's always worth a shot - try putting a cardboard or similar type shim between the barrel and the tip of the forend of the stock that's thick enough to just put some light pressure on the barrel. Having pressure at this point was actually the norm back in the day on sporter barrels before the free-float fad took over.

Sure was. At one time, Remington and Winchester walnut stocks had a raised area at the end of the forearm to apply that small amount of pressure when the action screws were tightened.

jpdown
10-28-2014, 11:30 AM
I assume you have also checked the torque on the action screws. IMO, the Trophy Hunter tupperware stock is contributing to the problem. With the DBM cut out it is even weaker than the former Savage tupperware stocks with the blind magazine. Especially with 7mm Rem Mag recoil. Try glass bedding the recoil lug and action making sure the tang and barrel are free floated. Shoot it off the bags and control the forend by holding firmly in the front bags to eliminate muzzle jump. Factory loads are the luck of the draw, since they can't be tuned to your rifle.

bill2260
10-29-2014, 04:52 PM
Try loading up some 22RL. I shoot 64 gr with hornady 154 gr spire pt. Under one inch group. Noticeably less recoil than using imr 4350. bill

stomp442
10-29-2014, 06:47 PM
Some might look at me funny for recommending this, but it's always worth a shot - try putting a cardboard or similar type shim between the barrel and the tip of the forend of the stock that's thick enough to just put some light pressure on the barrel. Having pressure at this point was actually the norm back in the day on sporter barrels before the free-float fad took over. It basically shortens the length of the barrel as far as harmonic's are concerned, making it act like a heavier, more rigid barrel. Could even try one of these barrel de-resonators as an alternative.

http://www.limbsaver.com/product/limbsaver-barrel-de-resonator/

Every Ruger I have ever messed with has preferred a little for end pressure. Sometimes with these light weight savages and especially those in magnum calibers excessive barrel whip can be a problem. Adding a piece of card board as you suggest is a quick way to check. Results should be pretty obvious if it will like it or not.