PDA

View Full Version : 300 win mag build

gtagovan
09-07-2014, 10:58 PM
I just purchased a 300 win mag and am wanting to start building it. I am new to savage and am having difficulty finding parts for the 110 in 300 win mag. I guess I am trying to find good sites to find barrels, triggers, stocks, etc. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Also what is a good barrel length in this caliber? I was thinking of around 28".

bootsmcguire
09-07-2014, 11:08 PM
26" and up on barrel length IMHO.

Go check out boyds for stocks if you like laminates, stockys is another decent choice.
Triggers, there are quite a few choices out there. SSS has some great ones, Rifle Basix is another good and popular choice.
For barrels my personal favorite is Apache Gunworks (http://www.apachegunworks.com), he makes great barrels at great prices and makes 'em the way you want them. Northland Shooting Supply is another great choice, Jim Briggs is great to talk to and has some good prefits available, I would recommend the CBI brand from him. McGowan outlet is another popular choice around here, and the couple of McGowan barrels I have been around were good shooters.

FEENIX
09-07-2014, 11:47 PM
I just purchased a 300 win mag and am wanting to start building it. I am new to savage and am having difficulty finding parts for the 110 in 300 win mag. I guess I am trying to find good sites to find barrels, triggers, stocks, etc. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Also what is a good barrel length in this caliber? I was thinking of around 28".

Welcome to SS and enjoy!

Excellent advice from bootsmcguire. What do you plan to do with the rifle, hunt or target shoot? If you're going to use it for long range hunting/shooting 26" (might also need to factor in if you're going to have a muzzle brake installed) would be my minimum length and a #6 contour (.750" at the muzzle) preference. You may also need to consider your rate of twist to properly stabilize the bullet your going to use; 1:10 for the norm range and allows you the best variety of bullet weights ... the heavier bullets will require faster twist. Then there's the grooves (lot's to choose from with varying personal preferences). This is just to get you started and I'm sure as others chimes in you'll get more choices to decide on.

On my last project, .270 AI Savage 110 LA, I opted to use 30" Lilja SS 3-groove 1:8 #6 contour to propel primarily the 165 and 175 Matrix VLDs. Very pleased with it thus far.

Good luck!

Ed

gtagovan
09-10-2014, 08:47 AM
Awesome thanks guys. I'm going with northland. They have a 28 inch heavy varmint that caught my eye. This build will be a long range hunter. Also scope wise is thinking a vortex viper 6.5-14x40. Any opinions on if the vortex will hold up to the recoil?
I'm going timney trigger and so haven't decided on a stock, probably a nice composite Monte Carlo.

Bigeclipse
09-10-2014, 10:24 AM

You can check out stockys stocks website...they help find stocks. As far as what length barrel and such it really depends what you intend on doing with the rifle. If this will be long range past 600 yards...probably the longer the better 26+. Inside 600, you can get away with a shorter lighter barrel and still take out big game no problem. Barrel will impact stock as well...if it is a heavy/thick barrel vs a medium or lighter sporter barrel. Again...if you are shooting under 600 you can get away with an accurate medium/lighter weight sporter barrel but for crazy long range I would want a varmint/bull barrel at 26+ inches to attain ultimate accuracy. Of course if you are going to get something like this where accuracy is everything...you will also want to go with a higher end barrel maker.

aubie515
09-18-2014, 08:01 PM
The barrel length has no affect on "accuracy", what a longer barrel will do is offer you faster velocities.

I bought my first CBI barrel from Jim last year. It was a special order since I wanted a 28" barrel, bead blasted, and threaded a certain pitch for my suppressor. I didn't go with a bull/heavy barrel and went with a varmint contour. That 28" barrel is heavy, but it's a high quality barrel. I just loaded up some ammo for it last night and I'll be shooting it for the first time tomorrow.

I went with RB trigger and I have the bolt fluted. I also had a large bolt knob installed and I refinished the receiver and bolt knob in Titanium.

You can check out stockys stocks website...they help find stocks. As far as what length barrel and such it really depends what you intend on doing with the rifle. If this will be long range past 600 yards...probably the longer the better 26+. Inside 600, you can get away with a shorter lighter barrel and still take out big game no problem. Barrel will impact stock as well...if it is a heavy/thick barrel vs a medium or lighter sporter barrel. Again...if you are shooting under 600 you can get away with an accurate medium/lighter weight sporter barrel but for crazy long range I would want a varmint/bull barrel at 26+ inches to attain ultimate accuracy. Of course if you are going to get something like this where accuracy is everything...you will also want to go with a higher end barrel maker.

FEENIX
09-20-2014, 06:39 AM
(http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2013/10/daniel-zimmerman/the-truth-about-barrel-length-muzzle-velocity-and-accuracy/)The truth about barrel length, muzzle velocity, and accuracy >>> http://www.thetruthaboutguns.com/2013/10/daniel-zimmerman/the-truth-about-barrel-length-muzzle-velocity-and-accuracy/