PDA

View Full Version : Starting Rifle Target Shooting-Suggestions

Pages : 1 [2]

dcloco
09-11-2009, 11:45 PM
....before you read my comment...know this....I don't particularly care for the 308 round....but....

308 is an excellent choice. I would try to find and buy as much Hornady 168 gr TAP ammo as you can find...or...if you reload...as many 168 gr AMax's as you can find. Some Win 760 will fill the case rather nicely with GREAT accuracy and better speed than Varget/etc....and a ball powder to boot.

A 308 on a BVSS frame would be hard to beat...would not want to pack it hunting though. 14-18 pound rifle with scope/etc.

308 will deliver thousands of rounds down range before the barrel is shot out...easly 6-10 thousand....or more!

Forgot to add, put a REAL butt pad on the rifle...there is several brands available that will soak most of the recoil up.

Do like the 223 idea as well. 1:8 or 1:7 twist running 69/75/77/80/90 gr bullets would be just the ticket....even in the wind.

johnds
09-12-2009, 12:34 AM
I have been in your position and went with the 308.....It is expensive......go with the 223.

Johns

JSpoo
09-12-2009, 02:34 AM
Buy the 223. Buy Quality ammo off the shelf and enjoy the shooting. Buy a reloading manaul as mentioned previous. Than slowly start buying your reloading equipment once you have detirmined whats the best to buy. Buy quality reloading gear, take your time and do research. Start shooting at 50 yards and move out to 400 +. By the time you have reached the max distance of shooting small groups with the 223 you will be ready to buy a barrel in 308 and move on to shooting at farther distances. Take your time and enjoy the shooting.
Jim

82boy
09-12-2009, 03:16 AM
Buy the 223. Buy Quality ammo off the shelf and enjoy the shooting. Buy a reloading manaul as mentioned previous. Than slowly start buying your reloading equipment once you have detirmined whats the best to buy. Buy quality reloading gear, take your time and do research. Start shooting at 50 yards and move out to 400 +. By the time you have reached the max distance of shooting small groups with the 223 you will be ready to buy a barrel in 308 and move on to shooting at farther distances. Take your time and enjoy the shooting.
Jim

Excellent advise!!!

dhicks
09-13-2009, 04:36 PM
Well, I think I am going to pick up the Model 12 bvss .308 tomorrow. I appreciate everyones input. I think I am going to slowly start getting the materials needed to reload and gather more information. From what I have read so far if you pay attention to what you are doing reloading is a safe hobby to have and it will eventually save money. I will post pics tomorrow of the new rifle. Also it comes with a Burris Fullfield II scope. Does anyone have any experience with these? Are they decent or junk?

Eric in NC
09-13-2009, 04:46 PM
Handloading is at least as safe as shooting! Both require discipline and concentration to be safe. If you apply those two, they are very safe, if not - very dangerous. Just like driving, riding a motorcycle, or drinking good bourbon! (not to be done at the same time!).

The Burris is a fine scope for that price range.

kenbo776
09-13-2009, 05:16 PM
Have been shooting my 10 FCP in .308 almost every weekend. 50 or 60 rounds is average for me. No shoulder problems and I know that if I had the time ( and $$ ) I could shoot lot more in a day. This is a 13 pound rifle & scope setup, with a very thick ( standard on the Mc Millian stock ) recoil pad. Used to have a 7 1/2 pound 30.06 that which I kept for maybe 6 months and sold it because it hurt like hell to shoot. But the Savage is great! And Northlander mentioned that you can also switch barrels. The 22.250 will work since its based on the .308 case. That would be a good caliber also since you have small bullet pushed by big case. But not cheap. Reloading I would have to recommend a full size press and setup since I remember using the Lee kit for pistol ( I recall you used a mallet to drive case into die., still that way? )but I dont know how hard it would be to hammer a full size rifle case into the dies. But then it depends on how much $$ you have to spend. I borrowed a press , scale, etc. from friend of mine and bought everything else so my reloading has not cost me to much as of yet. I think that there are as many reloading setups sitting unused in garages as there are unused threadmills and home gyms. Needless to say, I love my .308 ...furthest shot so far has been 425 yards, but normally I practice at 200 or 300 yards. The bigger bullet from the .308 is not affected by wind as much , which is good since the closest range here is 18 miles from coast and can get very windy.

Dennis
09-13-2009, 06:50 PM
Kenbo, you will be suprised how welll your gun will shoot 600 plus yds. I shoot mine all the time @ 600yds, 175gr BTHP's. The last time I shot 66 rounds @ 600yds, 65 of the shots would have put down a deer!