PDA

View Full Version : WOOD IS GOOD question...when to stain/oiol?

CAPTBEACH
09-06-2014, 08:39 PM
I have gotten the recoil pad sanded almost to perfection, the stock sanded almost to perfection and am now ready to pillar bed and glass bed the action and barrel. I will then be sending it to Jeff at CDI to be inlet for CDI DBM...should I go ahead and stain/oil the stock BEFORE I pillar/glass bed/inlet to prevent the inadvertent damage or staining from handling...seems like the finish would toughen up the stock a little and seal it preventing any staining from oils, hands, chemicals... I would of course NOT stain/oil/seal the interior when I am bedding it...or should I tape it up, send it to Jeff for inlet and bottom metal install THEN stain glass bed/pillar bed?

Anyone?

BillPa
09-07-2014, 02:31 PM
If possible I'll bed before finishing, less chance of screwing up the finish and having a redo it or patching it up. In fact I don't bother even sanding,scrapping or installing a pad until the BA is bedded.

Bill

gotcha
09-07-2014, 06:51 PM
What kind of wood is it?

CAPTBEACH
09-08-2014, 07:23 AM
Walnut

josh_m
09-08-2014, 10:04 PM
What type of finish are you going with? If it's a boiled linseed oil or tong oil, I would put a coat or two on before sending it off. This will help protect it from absorbing any oil or grease from handling. Then when you get it back you can do a final sanding and finish with a few more coats. I build custom furniture as a side business, but I've yet to do a stock. Walnut will be a lot more forgiving than say maple.
I wanna see pictures when your done. Please.

GaCop
09-09-2014, 08:04 AM
If possible I'll bed before finishing, less chance of screwing up the finish and having a redo it or patching it up. In fact I don't bother even sanding,scrapping or installing a pad until the BA is bedded.

Bill +1!

CAPTBEACH
09-09-2014, 11:51 AM
What type of finish are you going with? If it's a boiled linseed oil or tong oil, I would put a coat or two on before sending it off. This will help protect it from absorbing any oil or grease from handling. Then when you get it back you can do a final sanding and finish with a few more coats. I build custom furniture as a side business, but I've yet to do a stock. Walnut will be a lot more forgiving than say maple.
I wanna see pictures when your done. Please.

It is a nicely figured Walnut stock from Numrich, one of Savages overruns...I really lucked out getting such a nice one...I plan on using a MinWax Oil finish, a dark(er) Chestnut color...I was thinking I would tape it up with painters masking tape when i send it to CDI, Jeff stated he could do it and not get it too dirty...so I think I'm going to pillar bed it and send it to him, then glass bed it when it comes back inlet'd for the DBM metal...then finish it, hopefully it does not get dinged along the way...yes I will post pics of it when done...

Still on the fence about metal color...part of me wants to go CeraCoat OD/FDE and one part of me wants to go Charcoal/Flat black...hmmmmm

josh_m
09-09-2014, 07:41 PM
Decisions decisions.
OD would be a pretty sweet contrast to the dark walnut.

CAPTBEACH
09-10-2014, 11:12 PM
Coming along...

Short and sweet...like a Haiku in Wood and Steel...
http://www.warriortalk.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=39565&stc=1&d=1410403401

Nice wood for $29 huh?
http://www.warriortalk.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=39567&stc=1&d=1410403445

Business end...
http://www.warriortalk.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=39568&stc=1&d=1410403466

josh_m
09-12-2014, 11:50 AM
Am I the only one who can't view the pictures?

foxx
09-12-2014, 12:43 PM
neither can I.

drybean
09-12-2014, 12:49 PM
Nor I

BillPa
09-12-2014, 05:35 PM
Can anyone see this ????
http://i60.tinypic.com/2ptweoj.jpg

josh_m
09-12-2014, 07:51 PM
I can see!! I can see!!

Mach2
09-12-2014, 07:59 PM
What type of finish are you going with? If it's a boiled linseed oil or tong oil, I would put a coat or two on before sending it off. This will help protect it from absorbing any oil or grease from handling.

+1

The finish is a powerful protectant. Most bedding jobs are done to completed stocks. Bedding will not hurt anything. Bare wood is very prone to oils and anything else. A good finish is bullet proof. A good finish can last a hundred years. Bare wood can pick up oil off your hands the first time you touch it without gloves.