PDA

View Full Version : What do you HAVE to have for Switch barrel?

Pages : 1 [2]

foxx
09-07-2014, 04:47 PM
Check out Apache Gun Works for barrels priced around $180. Good shooters, hunters. He will chamber top of the line barrels as well, but the cool thing is he will treat a less expensive barrel like it's CBI or something and give you a quality piece for 1/2 the cost. Worth talking to him.

Bigeclipse
09-07-2014, 04:56 PM
$85 sounds a lot more like it. :cool:

Midway sells an action vice for $99, then you have to buy the blocks that fit your action, that's another $40, then $60 for a go/no go gauge set, then $25 for the Wheeler nut wrench, that is over $225 then the barrel from Shaw is $220 so that is where I was getting the $400. That's not counting shipping and handling!

Like I said, just need to know what I REALLY need!

The barrel kits come with all that minus the action wrench for 200...so 300bucks for barrel kit action wrench, barrel wrench go gauge lube etc.

Ol' BW
09-07-2014, 04:57 PM
Since I've been reading here, I have heard of several ways to remove the factory barrel, and many horror stories about how hard it is. Just needed to know from people who have really done it what it really takes.

BW

Bigeclipse
09-07-2014, 05:00 PM
The Brownell's kit does not come in the caliber I want. It also doesn't have an action wrench from what I understand. If I can get what I need for $85 bucks I can swing that!

BW

Check the " E Arthur brown" site. They carry the barrel kits in many c alibers in both stainless and blued.

Bigeclipse
09-07-2014, 05:02 PM
Since I've been reading here, I have heard of several ways to remove the factory barrel, and many horror stories about how hard it is. Just needed to know from people who have really done it what it really takes.

BW

I have heard soaking the threaded in in penetrating oil like wd40 over night made it easier or heating up with a butane torch lighter lol although I have never tried either.

foxx
09-07-2014, 06:44 PM

BW

If you use the action wrench or a barrel vice it's very easy 90% of the time. 5% of the time requires add'l leverage on the nut wrench (easy to do, they come with a spot to attach a heavy socket wrench to it) or a 3-4 pound hammer. The other 5% requires heat penetrating oil and all of the above. It's not that big a deal, its just frustrating because it should never be that hard.

However, when removing the smooth barrel nuts... THAT's A TUFFY. Now you need a large Vice grip or pipe wrench or something like that and the action wrench. Or just cut it 70% through in a couple places and ream on it with your wrench. It'll break free. Once you've removed a smooth nut, you'll never want to replace it with another like it. They are the second stupidest things Savage ever did to mess up a good thing. (the other was moving the top bolt release to the bottom.)

craigsoutdoorsports
09-07-2014, 06:49 PM
Wd40 is not a penetrating oil. It us a water displacer. Use kroil or another true penetrating oil for loosening stuck objects.

BillPa
09-07-2014, 07:58 PM
If you use the action wrench

...they loosen pretty easy.
http://i57.tinypic.com/fctudx.jpg

With the "thing" setting on the floor I've only had to use about 3/4th of my 250 one time, most give up with less.

That's for the slotted nuts, I don't treat the smoothies the same respect, the spanner(nut wrench) is replaced with a pipe wrench then they're put in their proper place, the scrap bucket!

Bill

Ol' BW
09-07-2014, 08:29 PM
So I need to check out NSS for the action wrench and nut wrench and a new nut, Apache for a barrel. Thanks guys! Sounds great!

BW

clintsrv
09-07-2014, 09:17 PM
Apache for sure. Jim and his products are outstanding!!

Digduggy
09-07-2014, 11:50 PM
Get a recoil lug from jim while you are at it, his are the finest imho