PDA

View Full Version : PTG Recoil Lug Alignment hole question...

CAPTBEACH
09-05-2014, 09:27 PM
So I got my .250 Small Shank SS Parallel recoil lug from PTG today, part is for Rem 700 and Small Shank Savage. I was surprised at how small the locator/alignment pin hole is...looks like they cut it for a Remington but if I put the right pin in it there will/would/could/might be considerable side to side travel as the pin moves around whne tightening the barrel nut when head spacing...

So what does everyone do about that?

I'm still a little miffed at them anyway and now this...when I ordered a cro-moly steel recoil lug and LA 308 Bolt head I was told everything was IN STOCK...no worries...when I call to make sure they were processing the order story changed...Steel recoil lug not in stock so they subb'ed a SS, OK...Bolt head will be 2-3 more weeks...its already been 2 1/2...sucks...

drybean
09-05-2014, 10:03 PM
yep , standard MOA
ordered from them before by phone to check if it was in stock was told it was
5 1/2 months later it was shipped

BillPa
09-05-2014, 10:25 PM
So I got my .250 Small Shank SS Parallel recoil lug from PTG today, part is for Rem 700 and Small Shank Savage. I was surprised at how small the locator/alignment pin hole is...looks like they cut it for a Remington but if I put the right pin in it there will/would/could/might be considerable side to side travel as the pin moves around whne tightening the barrel nut when head spacing...

I'm still a little miffed at them anyway and now this...when I ordered a cro-moly steel recoil lug and LA 308 Bolt head I was told everything was IN STOCK...no worries...when I call to make sure they were processing the order story changed...Steel recoil lug not in stock so they subb'ed a SS, OK...Bolt head will be 2-3 more weeks...its already been 2 1/2...sucks...

How do I deal with them? Measure the slot in the receiver, make a slightly over sized pin, drill the hole in the lug a few thousandths under the pin diameter for interference fit,press the pin in the hole past flush then work the sides of the down with a file until it just barely fits the slot in the ring. Last I press the pin out flush so the flats on the sides are even with the face of the lug or a hair below.

This is a factory lug with a fitted pin I use for another reason, but hopefully its gives you the idea.
http://i43.tinypic.com/2z56m3a.jpg

Some drill and tap the hole for a set screw instead of a pressed in pin. Either way will work.

Bill

Digduggy
09-05-2014, 10:39 PM
That is why i ordered the lug from NSS... It comes with the screw already, no question... And he has the sexiest nuts around... Couldn't find them anywhere else...

... But hopefully the tracking I got from ptg has both parts I ordered... i know the body is, as it was a clearance item... Bolt face here is hoping...

CAPTBEACH
09-06-2014, 08:23 AM
Had an epiphany last tight... I am going with the small pin, apply some release agent to the recoil lug and pin, mock it up in the correct position and then add a small dab of DEVCON, remove when cured and file/sand that area of the receiver smooth.

gpsman007
04-07-2016, 07:28 AM

For a company that is precision oriented they missed the bar. Using a remington lug and machining a hole as a afterthought and then not even throwing in the dang pin. I should have looked elsewhere
Anyone else who is thinking changing their recoil lug for a savage....look somewhere else Not PTG.

Robinhood
04-07-2016, 08:35 AM
Brand recognition. Many companies cater to the movers and shakers in their business communities. They get and keep good press by being inovative and providing great products and services to enough people to maintain business. At the same time their bread and butter, the ones that need and account for the most customer service, get dumped on. Meanwhile reputation rolls on like a snowball rolling downhill. Some avoid the apex at the bottom. PTG is one of them.

gbflyer
04-07-2016, 09:41 AM
Never bought a recoil lug there but I've gotten reamers and centers from them. No quality issues. I did get a gal on the phone who seemed a little new to the trade but followed through and did a good job of getting the information I needed. I have another order in now, hope all is still OK there.

geargrinder
04-07-2016, 11:59 PM
The pin hole in those lugs are for pinned Remington actions. It wasn't an afterthought.

The actual afterthought was to use these lugs on a savage.

You can use them like on a Remington, without the pin. It hurts nothing and it only takes a few extra seconds to make sure it doesn't move when tightening the nut.

Mozella
04-08-2016, 08:23 AM
............snip.........
Anyone else who is thinking changing their recoil lug for a savage....look somewhere else Not PTG.

Yep...... like Northland Shooters Supply. Mine came with a cap screw installed , the head of which is the proper diameter.

Hotolds442
04-08-2016, 12:15 PM
Yep...... like Northland Shooters Supply. Mine came with a cap screw installed , the head of which is the proper diameter.
Or advertiser "Dennis" on the board.