PDA

View Full Version : Getting a 338 lapua action

zero
09-05-2014, 04:41 PM
Hey guys. Totally new to the forum. Just heard of this one over on another forum. Seeing how I'm a big savage fan I thought I needed to be a part of this.

I'm looking to utilize some of the parts i already own(barrel, chassis) to build another 338 lapua. Does anybody know how I could acquire one of the 338 lapua mag actions.

I do have a 110fcp I heavily modified and got some stuff left over I want to use. I do have a ptg bolthead with the .550 locking lugs I was going to use with a large shank standard long action. After reading I'm not sure how good of an idea this is.

So will savage sell one of these actions to a gunsmith? I would also be willing to buy a take off action from one of the factory savage but I'm betting that not many people part these guns out. Any help would be greatfully appreciated!

mattri
09-05-2014, 05:27 PM
From what I've read here it seems that the 338 Lapua is not recommended for the standard 110 series action. Hopefully some more experienced folks will join in here but my understanding is that your best options are build off a different action, find (good luck, as you said) a 338 action, or go with a 338 Edge or similar. As you are already set up to shoot the Lapua I can see how and Edge or Rum wouldn't have a lot of appeal.

Again, hopefully others chime in and can help more. In any case welcome to the board and good luck.

zero
09-05-2014, 06:00 PM
Hey thanks for the warm welcome.

I've thought about building on a different action but the main reason for the build was that i have 75% of the rifle already. It just so happens that the part I don't have is the one that's hard to find.

I do hope others chime in on this topic as well. In my head it makes sense that if I have a bolthead with thicker locking lugs, and a 338 edge using about the same powder charge and obtaining equal velocities is suitable in a standard action that they gotta be producing similar pressures and bolt thrust numbers. As I said it makes sense in my head but I could very easily be mistaken and have no actual data to back up this theory. I'm sure someone out there does though.

mattri
09-05-2014, 06:13 PM
This may be a really stupid question but will your 338 bolthead cycle in a standard 110 action?

GaryB
09-05-2014, 06:52 PM
Call Jim at Northland Shooters Supply and see if he can get you one.
Savage may sell one to you, but they will probably want you to sign a waiver.

http://northlandshooterssupply.com/

Good luck
GaryB

zero
09-05-2014, 07:54 PM
Never thought to ask NSS. I will see what they say.

The question about the bolt head cycling isn't dumb at all. Honestly I haven't tried it at all. Its still in the bag it came in actually. Thanks for all the input so far guys. Already glad I joined here.