PDA

View Full Version : Manners or HS Precision Stock?

Gone to Texas
09-04-2014, 07:35 PM
I have my build just about laid out.

Have my donor action
CBI or McGowen barrel (most available one)
Timney Trigger
Vortex Viper PST 2.5-10x44

Now I just need to figure out the stock. I have been looking at Manners because they look like great quality, but I have also been looking into HS Precision stocks. I have not handled either of these so I am curious as to others opinions.

Is Manners worth the extra money and time? I am just looking for a hunting style stock like the T3, nothing crazy. Price wise it is cheaper than McMillian which is nice.

Any other brands y'all recommend?

Savage6x284
09-04-2014, 10:20 PM
McMillan!

Order it through Rick Bin at 24hourcampfire and it's a lot cheaper than direct from McMillan.

All reports indicate that Manners makes a very nice stock but I've owned a lot of McMillans and they are simply superb in every way.
Spring for an EDGE stock and you have 22 ounces of pure heaven.

I was just looking at the Manners website and their offerings for the Savage action are pretty skimpy. And all RH!!

With McMillan you can get just about any stock they make for the 700 inlet for any Savage action you may have. With any barrel contour, magazine style, and TG you want to use. That is a ton of offerings.
My most recent McM for a Savage is a Hunter's EDGE inlet for a LA 116, a Rem 700 TG (Works much better than the Savage TG), a #2 Rock with 1.438" of cylindrical shank ahead of a .300" PT&G lug. The inlet was PERFECT and it came in just over 21 ounces.

At least contact Rick Bin. I think you'll be happy you did.

justdave
09-04-2014, 11:00 PM
I also like McMillan. If you go with Mannors or McMillan, you must get it bedded to get the most out of it, no aluminum v-block. Look at some chassis systems, you might like one and, they usually come set up for detachable magazines.

Gone to Texas
09-04-2014, 11:27 PM
McMillan!

Order it through Rick Bin at 24hourcampfire and it's a lot cheaper than direct from McMillan.

All reports indicate that Manners makes a very nice stock but I've owned a lot of McMillans and they are simply superb in every way.
Spring for an EDGE stock and you have 22 ounces of pure heaven.

I was just looking at the Manners website and their offerings for the Savage action are pretty skimpy. And all RH!!

With McMillan you can get just about any stock they make for the 700 inlet for any Savage action you may have. With any barrel contour, magazine style, and TG you want to use. That is a ton of offerings.
My most recent McM for a Savage is a Hunter's EDGE inlet for a LA 116, a Rem 700 TG (Works much better than the Savage TG), a #2 Rock with 1.438" of cylindrical shank ahead of a .300" PT&G lug. The inlet was PERFECT and it came in just over 21 ounces.

At least contact Rick Bin. I think you'll be happy you did.

Thanks, I had no idea they sold McMillan stocks. I saw some pictures of the Campfire camo too and it is awesome!

Savage6x284
09-05-2014, 08:46 AM
I also like McMillan. If you go with Mannors or McMillan, you must get it bedded to get the most out of it, no aluminum v-block. Look at some chassis systems, you might like one and, they usually come set up for detachable magazines.
McMillan states that you may bed their stocks if you wish but that it is unnecessary. I used to bed my McM's but haven't done so on my last several. Their inletting is so precise, and their fill material so dense (but light) that bedding serves primarily to give the owner a sense of security rather than as an enhancement to accuracy or longevity.
I'm no fan of aluminum skeletons for a number of reasons I won't go into here.

sierracharlie338
09-06-2014, 12:12 AM
Manners with mini chassis.