PDA

View Full Version : Bedding a non-Accustock Savage?

Apex-Predator
09-04-2014, 02:37 PM
OK I know this forum is for aftermarket stocks, but there does not appear to be a gunsmithing section so this seems to be the most appropriate place to ask.
I have a Savage 30-06 with the older flimsy synthetic stock under it, shoots 1/2 MOA all day long (with handloads) but I was woundering if I could improve on that without having to buy some heavy aftermarket contraption designed for benchrest shooters. Can the accuracy be improved by bedding this stock or is it just too flimsy to be worthwhile? If so can do you have any tips?

big honkin jeep
09-04-2014, 07:42 PM
It sounds like at 1/2" you're doing pretty darn well and I'm not sure if bedding would improve things any or not. Then again I'm not sure spending $$$ on an aftermarket stock would help either. I have several with the old stocks that are shooters, some are bedded but my favorite _06 is not. A lot of folks seem to complain about how the older stocks are flimsy and I know you can take your hand and push the barrel into the stock. Personally I've never had any of mine that caused a problem under real world shooting conditions, be it propped up on bags or steadying for a shot off of a tree or rock. I squeeze the trigger, the bullet flies true and the buck drops or the hole appears in the bullseye. Just me but if I have one shooting 1/2" I probably aint gonna spend a whole lot of time or money trying to get it to 1/4".
Bedding the old synthetics is easy and economical enough so if you just want a project for fun then go for it. If done right it wont hurt anything. A whole lot of folks just start throwing parts and money at a rifle expecting major accuracy changes with factory ammo. You've already made the biggest accuracy improvement to any rifle by hand loading first.
Good luck and have fun.

GaCop
09-11-2014, 11:08 AM
I recently skim bedded the cheap "Tupperware" stock on a friend's Stevens 200 in 223. To stiffen the forearm, I tried some of the epoxy stick that requires kneading the putty together until the color is uniform. I used this to fill in the hollow areas of the forearm right up to the tip and up under the recoil log. The putty was the quick set variety and set up in 5 minutes and was rock hard in one hour. The forearm is now MUCH stiffer and the rifle is shooting groups well under an inch with a number of loads worked up for it. It especially loves the Sierra 63 grain SMP pushed by 25.1 grains if IMR 4064. That load prints three into .386". I'm going to retest the load at 200 yards to see how it does.