PDA

View Full Version : Looking to do AICS mags for an 11 Trophy Hunter XP in 223

Twinsen
09-04-2014, 02:17 AM
Howdy?

I bought a Trophy Hunter in 223 for my cousin 2 years ago. It was his first centerfire and I believe he's getting everything out of it that he can. I think he would benefit from a heavier, nicer stock, and if he's anything like me he'll enjoy a nice DBM like the AICS. The magazine is the Axis magazine and it is a PITA to remove. After him struggling with it for 18 months or so, I asked to shoot it again and figured out it works as a centerfeed blind mag far better than DBM. Doh!

The rifle:
11 Trophy Hunter XP
Right Handed
2011-2012 manufacture (probably)
223 Remington
Centerfeed
Axis magazine
Synthetic stock
Bottom bolt release
I put a larger bolt handle on it because Savage bolt effort is the downside of a Savage. And it's push feed so you can't load the gun while hanging like a bat off the bottom of a helicopter.

What I want to do:
Cheap, heavier, better stock (anything floated would be better, so pretty much only Hogue and Axis stocks would be worse)
AICS or AR15 mags
Cheap
Also cheap

What I've figured out so far:
~AICS 223 and 308 mags are the same dimensions to the stock
~I can supposedly move the bolt release to the normal location on the right side of the action. I will search for this information on here after I post this. I'll probably know how to do it before you could respond. It's probably an improvement, as I'd like to remove as much squishy plastic as I can and the mag release paddle is going to be there.
~For $100, Boyds makes a big laminate Tacticool stock that looks good for benchwresting and rare offhand and has many kinds of inletting options
~For $80, I can get him 2 AICS 223 mags
~For $128 PTG makes AICS compatible DBM for some sort of Savage short action something mystery inletting(?), and for $168 for one that works with bottom bolt release
~Everybody has a different acronym for things. ADL stands for Blind Magazine? Come on people, get it together.
~After I know what the plan is, I should figure out my cousin's LOP for ordering and WECSOG the right amount of rise in the stock. I can figure something out later.

$350 + shipping seems doable. I'll probably get my parents to go in $100. It'll mean $880 for a completed 223 rifle. That sorta makes me cringe as I want to get a Mini Mauser for myself for $370. :p

What I don't know and you guys could really help me out with:
~What kind of stock inletting should I choose for this new stock?
~Whose AICS DBM should I opt for?
~Is there another stock or chassis I should consider that would be easier? I've never bedded a rifle, so avoiding it would be easier. But I don't see why I couldn't do it. All the chassis I know are $400+.

I've been looking at Stocky's, Boyd's, and Choate. The problem is Savage has so many changes in production and I just don't know what products I could use. "This stock has the PDQ meant to BBQ ASAP. Won't fit stocks with HRP DRP."

LoneWolf
09-04-2014, 02:31 AM
Contact CDI Precision. They sell the Choate Tactical already inletted with their bottom metal and will tell you exactly what you need. Probably the most affordable route for you to go and if you send them the barreled action they'll tune it all up for you for proper feeding as well.

Twinsen
09-05-2014, 04:37 AM
I read up on it all and have agreed on the Choate Tactical. Now I'll look around at the DBM and inletting options. I know CDI will do it right, that seems to be the consensus. Although it is hard to ignore the cheap PTG model that replaces the bottom bolt release.