PDA

View Full Version : Problem mounting rail to 110 flat back due to twisted action- permanently bed?

Pages : 1 2 [3]

notpu
09-08-2014, 01:09 PM
The only thing to foxx's post, you may want to build a dam using clay, plumber's putty or Play-Doe around the mount-action to keep the Devcon PS , JB or JB-Quick were it belongs.

Bill
Thanks. How fluid is Devcon etc? I've heard that some are pretty runny, while others are pretty solid. It seems like I need to build it up a lot, which I assume is why you are suggesting making a clay dam.

wbm
09-08-2014, 01:42 PM
would dedicate this action to a fire form gun....and find a good action to build from.

That's what I was thinking when I saw OP number one.

JCalhoun
09-08-2014, 02:22 PM
notpu,

In case you are not aware, sharpshooter has been working Savage for a long time. There much experience in what he says.

Secondly, as it's an older rifle with issues you may be better off getting a new rifle to shoot for now and use this one as a parts gun later.

foxx
09-08-2014, 02:43 PM
Thanks. How fluid is Devcon etc? I've heard that some are pretty runny, while others are pretty solid. It seems like I need to build it up a lot, which I assume is why you are suggesting making a clay dam.

Devcon 10110 is like peanut butter. Very strong and good bond. dams would still be good and pretty much used whenever you use an epoxy of any kind.

Also, I agree with all these guys. I was not joking when I said send it to Fred. My suggestions for "repair" need to be taken in context. IF I were to do it myself and did not really care to spend money on it, etc. THat's what I would do to it. I would never do such a thing for a friend's gun or anything like that. Kinda like using duct tape to fix a car. :)

notpu
09-08-2014, 03:56 PM
notpu,

In case you are not aware, sharpshooter has been working Savage for a long time. There much experience in what he says.

Secondly, as it's an older rifle with issues you may be better off getting a new rifle to shoot for now and use this one as a parts gun later.
I was not aware of sharpshooter's history. I'm new to Savage and the forum, and it's helpful to know whose guidance I should especially be paying attention to. Thanks!

I'm interested in hunting and eventually getting into long range shooting, and I had hoped that a 110 action could provide a good action to build from. Apparently, this one may not be that action. As it's currently my one and only bolt gun, I'm interested in trying to do as much as I can (safely) with it and make mistakes on an old, inexpensive action so that when I do get a new one, I'll hopefully do a decent job. It's hopefully not unrealistic to make this functional as a hunting rifle with minimal incremental investment. As much as I might prefer to scrap this rifle and start anew, I won't likely have the funds for that in the near term.

Are older actions generally inferior, or did I just get unlucky?

Thanks again for your comment.

notpu
09-08-2014, 04:02 PM
Devcon 10110 is like peanut butter. Very strong and good bond. dams would still be good and pretty much used whenever you use an epoxy of any kind.

Also, I agree with all these guys. I was not joking when I said send it to Fred. My suggestions for "repair" need to be taken in context. IF I were to do it myself and did not really care to spend money on it, etc. THat's what I would do to it. I would never do such a thing for a friend's gun or anything like that. Kinda like using duct tape to fix a car. :)
Makes sense. I would definitely prefer not to spend money on it, and I am looking forward to learning by working on it myself; if I had the funds, I think I would take the majority's advice and get a new one.

I am embarrassed to ask, since he seems to be well known, but who is Fred? Is he sharpshooter? Thanks.

foxx
09-08-2014, 04:27 PM
Yes. Fred is Sharpshooter. The "Savage Guru". :)

JCalhoun
09-08-2014, 04:29 PM
Fred Moreo is sharpshooter of Sharp Shooter Supply.

The guns from the late 1960's through the late 1980's tended to have more quality control issues than the 1990's onward. There also some minor differences in them that could cause some issues in a build.

How did you acquire this rifle?

notpu
09-08-2014, 04:50 PM
Fred Moreo is sharpshooter of Sharp Shooter Supply.

The guns from the late 1960's through the late 1980's tended to have more quality control issues than the 1990's onward. There also some minor differences in them that could cause some issues in a build.

How did you acquire this rifle?
Thanks for the explanation. I was specifically looking for an older 110 that I could later change the barrel and stock as my skills and interests developed. I found this one on Armslist.

If you have a resource you could direct me to where I could learn about potential issues, I'd appreciate it. I was under the impression that the action had been largely constant since Savage changed how it attached barrels around 1967 until the recent change of the location of the bolt release.

I'm very grateful for everyone's help.

foxx
09-08-2014, 04:55 PM
Unless they disclosed the issues you're talking about, I'd say you got cheated. :(

notpu
09-08-2014, 05:13 PM
Unless they disclosed the issues you're talking about, I'd say you got cheated. :(
No disclosure, though the slant is so bad that the idiom of a fool and his money might also apply. Looking at it now, I have no idea how I missed it, though the obvious answer is that I didn't think to look for it. It was $200, and if it functions and gives me an interesting project to work on to try to make it serviceable, I won't feel too cheated. I couldn't sell it without disclosing the issues, and I figure the money spent on Devcon is probably less than the loss I'd realize trying to sell it and start over. I also want to learn how to bed a rifle, and I'll feel a lot less bad about messing this one up than a newer, nicer one.

notpu
09-08-2014, 05:20 PM
Thanks for the explanation. I was specifically looking for an older 110 that I could later change the barrel and stock as my skills and interests developed. I found this one on Armslist.

If you have a resource you could direct me to where I could learn about potential issues, I'd appreciate it. I was under the impression that the action had been largely constant since Savage changed how it attached barrels around 1967 until the recent change of the location of the bolt release.

I'm very grateful for everyone's help.
Fred, in possibly answering my own question, I just found your Technical Updates page that seems to go into detail about some of the changes. I'm very glad that JCalhoun pointed me to your site!

JCalhoun
09-08-2014, 05:54 PM
notpu,

As far as a learner gun goes it's not a bad choice. Because, like you say, you don't want to use a good one to lean how to do bedding, mods, etc. Does the barrel have sights? If so, you could use those to hunt/shoot with if the base is too far off.

I'm thinking you should at least try to cycle the bolt a few times to see it feed & extracts. If it cycles then you can try to attach the base. If it doesn't function properly there is no need in even fooling with the base.

notpu
09-08-2014, 06:11 PM
notpu,

As far as a learner gun goes it's not a bad choice. Because, like you say, you don't want to use a good one to lean how to do bedding, mods, etc. Does the barrel have sights? If so, you could use those to hunt/shoot with if the base is too far off.

I'm thinking you should at least try to cycle the bolt a few times to see it feed & extracts. If it cycles then you can try to attach the base. If it doesn't function properly there is no need in even fooling with the base.
It does have iron sights, and while I wouldn't choose them as the main sighting option, thanks for reminding me that they are there in case the base is too far off. One thing I did do before I bought it was make sure that it feeds and extracts properly. While it got hung up on one handload that the seller had, it cycled factory ammo without a problem. I've since cycled factory ammo, also without a problem. The barrel was dirty when I bought it and the bolt was pretty filthy internally, so it seems like it was functional at least earlier in its life.

JCalhoun
09-08-2014, 11:58 PM
That's a good sign then.