PDA

View Full Version : Problem mounting rail to 110 flat back due to twisted action- permanently bed?

Pages : 1 [2] 3

Smokey262
09-06-2014, 10:23 PM
Fred pointed out the flaw in his post. Notice that the bolt raceway appears to be parallel with the tang and the machining marks on the back end. Only the top is messed up. I wouldn't straighten it so the top is straight, I think you would twist the bolt raceways

You might be able to mill the top to make it parallel. Looks like excess meat on the right side anyway :)

bootsmcguire
09-06-2014, 11:07 PM
Sorry for being slow here, but are you telling me to install the action screws while the action is out of the stock and seeing how they line up?

Yup, that is a good way to visually check how straight the screw holes are in the action bottom. If one screw is really leaning then they are off as well.

olddav
09-06-2014, 11:09 PM
Yes, install acton screws into the action outside of the stock. If they line up then you can't attempt to straighten the action.

notpu
09-06-2014, 11:19 PM
Yes, install acton screws into the action outside of the stock. If they line up then you can't attempt to straighten the action.
Let me know if I should measure this differently, but the action screws seem to line up pretty well with the barrel.
http://i.imgur.com/anHsyKa.jpg
The scope holes seem better lined up than I realized, but the angle makes it difficult to get the rear screws in.
http://i.imgur.com/JGN5yWY.jpg

olddav
09-07-2014, 08:47 AM
OK, I yield to those who say it is no twisted and have no solutions for this problem.
Frankly it still looks twisted to me but if the action screws are in line with the barrel then there no way the action is twisted.
Sorry to have wasted your time.

foxx
09-07-2014, 10:17 AM
It no longer looks twisted to me, either. If the bolt travels smoothly through the rails and it mounts to the stock as well as it seems to do so, then I would say as someone else already has, that the top is not machined properly. It all comes down to finding a way to grind/mill the top surface so that a scope can be mounted square and level to the bore.

If it were me, not having access to a mill, I would grind it as close to level as possible then use JB weld or Devcon 10110 to not just bed, but permanently mount a one piece base to the action then use Burris Signature Zee rings hoping the shims will make the scope straight. you might have to drill and tap new screw holes so they are aligned perpendicular to the top after leveling it. I think I would assume the front screw holes are aligned correctly, mount one piece rail with the front screws, then use the rear screw holes on the mount as a "gig" to determine rear screw spacing. Don't worry if the rear holes are sloppy, just drill a place for them and use the Devcon to anchor the screws and to fill any sloppiness.

I say all of that because I doubt the cost of dong it "less crudely" is too great. I'd rather toss it and start with a new receiver than spend a lot of money on it. When you're done, it will either work or it won't. It is what it is. :)

Smokey262
09-07-2014, 11:15 AM
I recall a famous gunsmith saying that the front does all the hard work and is the only part that needs to be strong. I also recall that only the front is heat treated. The top back could be milled or ground without harming anything, except the resale value, unless the work was done very very well.

The challenge will be to find someone with a mill to do it for free or cheap.

Grinding it would work too, as of course that is how it got to be in this condition in the first place. Go slow, check often, and finish by hand.

BillPa
09-07-2014, 11:41 AM
Well, the action may be twisted a tad from the heat treating process but if it is it ain't much. I use these to check'm.
http://i47.tinypic.com/2eyhuu9.jpg

The shortie is for the front one in the ring. They allow me not only to check they're in alignment but also if they're drilled and taped straight side to side, front to back.

They also come in handy when I (always) bed an action to a mount or mounts.

But back to our regular scheduled programming.....

The bridge is fubared, a one eyed blind man can see it. The only hope (read above), bed the bridge to the mount and use whatever length screws needed to secure it. Brownells has gaggles of them.

Bill

notpu
09-07-2014, 07:04 PM
It no longer looks twisted to me, either. If the bolt travels smoothly through the rails and it mounts to the stock as well as it seems to do so, then I would say as someone else already has, that the top is not machined properly. It all comes down to finding a way to grind/mill the top surface so that a scope can be mounted square and level to the bore.

If it were me, not having access to a mill, I would grind it as close to level as possible then use JB weld or Devcon 10110 to not just bed, but permanently mount a one piece base to the action then use Burris Signature Zee rings hoping the shims will make the scope straight. you might have to drill and tap new screw holes so they are aligned perpendicular to the top after leveling it. I think I would assume the front screw holes are aligned correctly, mount one piece rail with the front screws, then use the rear screw holes on the mount as a "gig" to determine rear screw spacing. Don't worry if the rear holes are sloppy, just drill a place for them and use the Devcon to anchor the screws and to fill any sloppiness.

I say all of that because I doubt the cost of dong it "less crudely" is too great. I'd rather toss it and start with a new receiver than spend a lot of money on it. When you're done, it will either work or it won't. It is what it is. :)
The front seems to lay flat as is, leading me to believe the high side of the rear is the correct height. I'm leaning towards using Devcon 10110 to make the rear level with the high side of the rear.

With the rear at such an angle, I'd question my ability to drill and tap new screw holes in the right place before bedding. It also seems very likely that the new screw holes would overlap with the existing holes. Would it work to permanently bed the base with Devcon 10110 using the front screws, then drill and tap into the Devcon? Would I even need the rear screws?

notpu
09-07-2014, 07:05 PM
OK, I yield to those who say it is no twisted and have no solutions for this problem.
Frankly it still looks twisted to me but if the action screws are in line with the barrel then there no way the action is twisted.
Sorry to have wasted your time.
Olddav, I really appreciate your time and your thoughts. Definitely not a waste of time at all!

notpu
09-07-2014, 07:05 PM
Well, the action may be twisted a tad from the heat treating process but if it is it ain't much. I use these to check'm.
http://i47.tinypic.com/2eyhuu9.jpg

The shortie is for the front one in the ring. They allow me not only to check they're in alignment but also if they're drilled and taped straight side to side, front to back.

They also come in handy when I (always) bed an action to a mount or mounts.

But back to our regular scheduled programming.....

The bridge is fubared, a one eyed blind man can see it. The only hope (read above), bed the bridge to the mount and use whatever length screws needed to secure it. Brownells has gaggles of them.

Bill
Thanks. What are the pictures of, and do you have a link? They seem very helpful.

foxx
09-07-2014, 08:03 PM
If front is high and level with the high side of the rear I would mount it with the two front screws and drill two sloppy holes in the rear knowing they will overlap the existing holes that are crooked. Just as you said. Make them bigger than your screws. Now test to see that the screws fit into the holes in the receiver . If all looks good remove the mount. Scuff up the surface of both and add good amount of Devon and then while still soft replace mount and install front screws as normal. Finally push rear crews into the d evcon. My objective is to avoid trying to make a good hole over the pre existing hole and try to tap. Instead just press the screw into the epoxy and let it bond to the screws. Bond the whole thing to the top of the action. Smear devcon all around it and when its hard clean it up with a dremel.

Like I said I am not talented enough to do it right. And I would just want to make it functional for cheap. I think this would work.

BillPa
09-07-2014, 08:34 PM
Thanks. What are the pictures of, and do you have a link? They seem very helpful.

They're studs threaded to 6-48. They're turned in to the mount screw holes to check they're alignment with a steel rule and see if they're drilled/taped straight.

I also use them when bedding mounts.

Link? No, I made'm

Bill

notpu
09-07-2014, 10:57 PM
They're studs threaded to 6-48. They're turned in to the mount screw holes to check they're alignment with a steel rule and see if they're drilled/taped straight.

I also use them when bedding mounts.

Link? No, I made'm

Bill
You made them? That's awesome! Thanks again for your help.

notpu
09-07-2014, 11:09 PM
If front is high and level with the high side of the rear I would mount it with the two front screws and drill two sloppy holes in the rear knowing they will overlap the existing holes that are crooked. Just as you said. Make them bigger than your screws. Now test to see that the screws fit into the holes in the receiver . If all looks good remove the mount. Scuff up the surface of both and add good amount of Devon and then while still soft replace mount and install front screws as normal. Finally push rear crews into the d evcon. My objective is to avoid trying to make a good hole over the pre existing hole and try to tap. Instead just press the screw into the epoxy and let it bond to the screws. Bond the whole thing to the top of the action. Smear devcon all around it and when its hard clean it up with a dremel.

Like I said I am not talented enough to do it right. And I would just want to make it functional for cheap. I think this would work.
That makes sense. Thanks!

BillPa
09-08-2014, 12:08 AM
The only thing to foxx's post, you may want to build a dam using clay, plumber's putty or Play-Doe around the mount-action to keep the Devcon PS , JB or JB-Quick were it belongs.

Bill

foxx
09-08-2014, 12:19 AM
Also, VERY IMPORTANT! Make sure you plug the bottom of the holes for the mount screws if they protrude thru the action (they probably do). You don't want any epoxy getting into the action. If it were me, I'd lube the heck out of the inside of the action and then pack the underside full of putty so no epoxy can get in there.

sharpshooter
09-08-2014, 02:03 AM
The only way to check it for twist is to use a raceway gauge. Then check it for a bow using a threaded mandrel and a floating mandrel. If it is truly just the rear bridge out of whack, I would mill it flat and add the appropriate shim. If the holes were off for the scope bases, I would simply relocate them. If the action screw holes were off, on top of everything else, I would dedicate this action to a fireform gun....and find a good action to build from. Looks like that gun was made in 1969.

foxx
09-08-2014, 07:17 AM
I'd ship it to Fred. ^^^
And the original picture looks like it is twisted.

notpu
09-08-2014, 01:07 PM
Also, VERY IMPORTANT! Make sure you plug the bottom of the holes for the mount screws if they protrude thru the action (they probably do). You don't want any epoxy getting into the action. If it were me, I'd lube the heck out of the inside of the action and then pack the underside full of putty so no epoxy can get in there.
Thanks for the suggestion; they do protrude through the action.