PDA

View Full Version : Slam Fire Follow up

pheasant16
09-03-2014, 06:08 PM
Finally made it out to test the lighter fluid flush. No slam fires today. YAY!!!!!!
Did notice that on a couple bolt cycles I didn't bring it back to the end of the travel and the sear didn't reset.
Figured maybe it needed a little lubing after the lighter fluid flush. (Yah know what you said about adequate lube in lighter fluid; but being a guy......)
Got home put a drop of oil where the push handle meets the pin that holds it.
Closed the bolt; slam fire. ARRRRGGGHHH!!!!
So going to pull it apart again, completely degrease it, and just be sure to pull the bolt handle all the way back to be sure the sear resets.
Am not going to turn the sear engagement up yet, as worked fine except for sear not resetting with just a lift of the bolt handle.

big honkin jeep
09-03-2014, 06:51 PM
Do you have a nice arch in the trigger return spring? If it's sitting flat it will cause what you describe. If this is the case get some .043 piano wire make a spring and replace the factory spring and put a decent arch in it. It will give you a sweet pull and a safe rifle. I have seen the trigger return spring labeled as a pull weight spring and improper adjustment of this screw is the cause of many trigger jobs gone bad.

pheasant16
09-03-2014, 09:24 PM
Do you have a nice arch in the trigger return spring? If it's sitting flat it will cause what you describe. If this is the case get some .043 piano wire make a spring and replace the factory spring and put a decent arch in it. It will give you a sweet pull and a safe rifle. I have seen the trigger return spring labeled as a pull weight spring and improper adjustment of this screw is the cause of many trigger jobs gone bad.

I'll have a look when I pull it apart. The trigger is still 100% factory. Haven't touched a thing with this one. Pulling it out of the stock to flush it with lighter fluid was the first time I'd even had it apart. It shoots so well I'm superstitious about messing with it. But safety trumps all.

short round
09-03-2014, 09:29 PM
Should not need to pull bolt all the way to the rear for sear to reset. sounds like sear is dragging on top side of trigger, this will happen if trigger stop is screw is turned in to far, back screw off & adjust.