PDA

View Full Version : Savage 11VT hitting far right

Plowdaddy519
09-03-2014, 01:19 AM
Hey guys,

This past February, I bought an 11VT in .308 from Field and Stream, took it out back in march to get a feel for what kind of ammo it liked. Remembering that it had a 1 in 10 twist barrel, I bought mainly heavier grain bullets (165-180), but also grabbed a box of the cheap 150gr Winchester silver box. Out of the 5 different types of ammo I ran through it, it would shoot the 168gr Winchester Ballistic tips, and the 150gr Win silver box very well (both types gave me 1/2" or so goups @100). It would not group very well with any form of Federal ammo I fed it (165gr Fusions, 180gr powershoks) but the problem I was running into was that it was hitting about 5" to the right while shooting any Federal ammo, and I had to nearly max out my windage on my scope to get it to center with the Winchester ammo.

Fast forward to today, I had another chance to hit the range, took all the same ammo out with me this time. But I had a chance to take everything apart, tighten the bases and rings, made sure the action screws were tight, and I did a little work to the factory stock so I could actually get decent cheek weld. First three shots with the silver box winchesters were all touching, but still to the right. I ran the every last click of windage adjustment out of my scope, and finally got it to center up. Now, I've heard the Bushnell scope that comes with these guns are kinda cruddy, and for now I don't have any other scope to test on it. But could that be my issue? Or do you guys think something else might be happening? Crooked scope mounts? Rings somehow putting the scope in a bind? I've never really ran into this problem before, so any advice is greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys

LHitchcox
09-03-2014, 07:52 AM
The scope's erector lens is probably out of whack. First thing is to try a known good scope and see what happens.

stomp442
09-03-2014, 10:05 AM
First thing I would do is buy a set of Burris signature zee rings and make sure the scope is centered and secure.

craigsoutdoorsports
09-03-2014, 02:14 PM
I agree with LHitchcox. If everything is tight and properly mounted and the scope objective isn't touching anything the first thing to try is a known good scope. If it's still doing it then check to make sure the holes weren't drilled off center before moving on. Also, make sure there are no obvious burrs on your rings. They may just need a good lapping. Quality control on everything today sucks.

Flyndutchman
09-03-2014, 03:01 PM
Every one of the 4 savages I own wear some type of windage adjustable ring or base for just this reason.

Plowdaddy519
09-03-2014, 03:23 PM
Thanks for the advice guys, the biggest problem is, I don't have any other scopes to test on it right now. I do plan on upgrading the scope, rings, and bases, just trying to limp through deer season this year with whats on it. When i get a chance, I will check out the rings and bases to make sure nothing is binding

cntryby493
09-17-2014, 04:03 AM
I just purchased the same model myself but haven't had the chance to shoot it yet its a 308 also. I would factory zero your scope and then start over and dial it in at 100yrds. All you do is run the turrets all the way in till they bottom out. Be careful and don't force it too turn once they bottom out you will know. After that count how many clicks you have until you back them all the way out. Once you come up with an amount divide that by 2 and after you figure that out run the turrets back in too that amount and it should be back to factory zero. For example if your scope had 50 moa of adjustment for both windage and elevation you would have 25 moa of adjustment left or right for windage and 25 moa for adjustment for up and down for elevation. If that doesn't solve the problem your scope may be bad. Hope this helps

FEENIX
09-17-2014, 06:36 AM
The scope's erector lens is probably out of whack. First thing is to try a known good scope and see what happens.

First thing I would do is buy a set of Burris signature zee rings and make sure the scope is centered and secure.

^^^Agree!^^^. The Burris signature zee rings with inserts are hard to beat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=wcRAX5OLtJE#t=3

RonboF117
10-18-2014, 08:36 PM
If you don't want to take the time to count clicks; put the scope on a mirror and look through it. You should be able to see a ghost image of your reticle. Turn the knobs until the two coincide and you're done.